Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Onboard and gfx card conflict, where did I go wrong

Default Onboard and gfx card conflict, where did I go wrong

I just bought myself an Asus N6200/TD/128 Video card, and it works now but I had some dificulties setting it up, Trying to get some insight as to how to make this process easyer in the future:

My system:
    Asus P5VDC-MX Mobo with onboard GFX
    Asus Geforce 6200 (N6200/TD/128) Gfx Card
    Celeron D 2.8GHz CPU
    512MB DDR 400 RAM

I remove the drivers for my old Radeon 9200SE. I shutdown, install the new card, boot, and it works with default XP drivers. I proceed to install drivers from CD that came with card, reboot, and then...

Windows starts to load, then the monitor turns off, black screen, and the HDD in dicator is solid for several minutes before the system restarts itself and repeats this sequence of events in a loop.

I do a Repair install of XP, that does not work,
    I formate, works untill I install the suplied drivers again, and same problem

So In desperation I remove the card, boot using onboard graphics, install all drivers that came with mobo, then uninstall onboard gfx card drivers, and shutdown, install card, boot, install geforce drivers from site, reboot and viola, it works.

So now im unsire weather it was the onboard gfx drivers, or if it was the suplied drivers, since my last try I used drivers from nvidias site.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Red face Re: Onboard and gfx card conflict, where did I go wrong

hmmm,correct way below in steps below
    1.power down2.unplug power wire to pc.3 remove actual watch looking battery(cmos bateery)for 1 minute.4 remove your video card.plug your moniter cable into the onboard video connector.5 fire it up(should work fine using onboard video).6 now your in windows again(?)reload drivers for your new 6200 card.7 power down normally.8 place new video card in,connect moniter cable to new video card connecter.9 power up after connected to new card from moniter if not repeat the procedure again(1-6)if go to step 10.10 power back up hitting delte button to get into the bios.11 configure in your bios onboard vga(video)DISBALE,set primary graphics to agp-or pciexpress slot whatever your 6200 is.your welcome? :p ehe i once was a n0ob,miss those days seemed more exciting like shooting nails into my head with a hi power nailgun

if it happens again simply start at step 1 again...

your question-

"So In desperation I remove the card, boot using onboard graphics, install all drivers that came with mobo, then uninstall onboard gfx card drivers, and shutdown, install card, boot, install geforce drivers from site, reboot and viola, it works. "

my answer-

you simply should not have unistalled the new graphics cards drivers,then tried to run the card after u freshly installed it,with no drivers to read because u deleted them?lol.its like getting a new gun(card)loading it all up with bullets(drivers)then taking all the bullets out(drivers agin),squezing the trigger and nothing happens,rofl!!!! copy my 1-10 instructions on a blank cd for future refernce..to a second pc u can use
    Last edited by bf2nut; 04-27-2006 at 06:45 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Default Re: Onboard and gfx card conflict, where did I go wrong

Not trying to start a disagreement but why would anyone want to reset cmos (remove battery etc.) just to change a video card? Starting the system with the new card then installing the drivers is the normal way to proceed.

mirado.kelly you seem to have done the basics correctly. Your original problem may have come switching from Radeon to nVidia without removing all of the old video driver files. Driver Cleaner http://www.drivercleaner.net/ might have solved those problems. Although you were deleting the drivers they tend to leave a few .dll files etc. that can make life difficult sometimes.

It is also possible (unlikely ...but it happens) that the drivers that came with your card had some sort of conflict with your particular configuration. I once had a set of video drivers that conflicted with the version of Java that i was running and caused major graphics corruption. It took awhile to figure that one out.

If the drivers from nVidia are working well now be happy. Aside from beta drivers they will be the most recent available and probably the most functional drivers for you card.
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 04-27-2006 at 01:40 PM.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thread Information