Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Does it really matter which HD I download to?

Default Does it really matter which HD I download to?

My computer came with one hard drive, but I added a second drive because the primary is nearly full. I use the second HD for my videos for the most part.

My operating system (Windows XP Hom Edition) and and everything else is on the original (primary) C drive.

Today I downloaded an updated driver for my graphics card. Instead of downloading it to my C drive, I "saved" it to my large slave (jumper is set to CS per WD) drive.

I have not attempted to install this updated driver yet because I started thinking maybe I should have downloaded it to my primary C drive. I began to wonder if the driver will install properly from drive F, or if the hardware (graphics card) will operate properly if the updated driver is installed this way.

Does it really matter which hard drive "updates" or other "software"are downloaded to before they're installed?

I don't understand the relationship between two different hard drives, the hardware (in this case the graphics card), and the software (updated driver in this case). Could someone explain how the software gets installed in the hardware? Or does it really get installed on the hardware? As you can see, I'm a novice and need your help to learn this process.

When I install the updated driver, will the install work just good as if it had been downloaded to the C drive?

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Does it really matter which HD I download to?

It will be fine. Windows probably just sent it to the slave drive to save what little space is left on the master drive. It will update the drivers in your windows installation.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

As Casecutter has said all will be fine, the target directory for file installs will be c:program files so any updates/software will go there. My main concern is that you have enough room on your primary hdd for the programs to install, you really need to clean it up if it is full, delete temporary internet files, cookies, take any other data you can over to your slave drive, run defrag and if you are confident you have your pc running properly turn off system restore (this will clear all restore points freeing up hdd space, don't forget to turn it back on and create a restore point) you can also, in system restore change the amount of hdd space dedicated to keeping restore points. Clean out any stuff you don't need.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

You can also move your swap file to the new hard drive, this can free up as much as a few gigs.

Reguarding your question about drivers and their relationship to the system as a whole: The drivers are simply instrucions that the operating system needs to properly use the hardware. Occasionally the hardware manufacturers release a new set of instructions designed to leverage more use out of their product or to resolve conflicts.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

i have 2 call of duty 2 mod sets, for some reason windows decided that i needed 1 on each hard drive, pretty wierd but altogether it only takes up about a gig of space.

Quote Originally Posted by orangutang91
    i have 2 call of duty 2 mod sets, for some reason windows decided that i needed 1 on each hard drive, pretty wierd but altogether it only takes up about a gig of space.
    I would guess that CoD2 is as much responsible for this as Windows is. Unless, like burnselk, you installed the mod from the second drive, then maybe it just left those files there...

I allways prefer to use more than one HDD. (Though in my most recent builds I have gone back to using RAID arrays.) That way I can load most of my games, music, and downloaded files to the second drive and I don't loose everything if I have to reload the OS. (Actually I now know how to rebuild my boot.ini so I don't have this kind of thing happen.) At the same time, I feel that overloading a hard disk can contribute to it's failure. It used to be that HDD manufacturers recommended keeping your drive use below 85%. Maybe they've decided that this is a negligable factor in HDD failure, or maybe they want to sell more HDDs.

Thread Information