Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computers

Default Computers

Ok i hope to make this a short one, and i hope that i am putting this in the right spot, if i put this in the wrong spot, i am trully sorry. Here is what happened, I use to have a Dell 3.0Gig Hyperthread Intel 4 Processor, with the video card of that being a 6800GT AGP. It to me couldn't handle the graphics in COD2 as well as i liked, and well AGP support around here is becoming hard to come by, so I chose to change it all, i have a A8N32-SLI Deluxe, with a 3500+ AMD Athlon 64, coupled with a 7600GT OC PCIE. Just so everyone knows the graphics are better and i am ok with that but the frames per second are about the same. I ran the AquaMark test and scored about 69000 with the card overclocked a bit, non overclock it was 66,000. Now in my opinion i don't think overclocking is the answer to improve this system, and besides i spent alot money to get it, am i missing something in all this, or is the difference in the two systems not all that much. I think maybe i am misunderstanding just exactly what PCIE real is. More Pipelines more performance is what i think coupled with improved video card, there may not be that much difference between the 6800gt and 7600GT but going from AGP to PCIE should make more of a difference, or did i just got ripped off. Thanks for helping and responding if you want to.

Default Re: Computers

well, actually, there is no difference between agp and pci-e at the moment. maybe for the fastest cards of this generation, but as it stands, the 7600gt is only a little faster than the 6800gt anyway, and pci-e will make no difference. sorry, but you need a faster card to see difference.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Well had i researched things a little better i wouldn't be so upset, I did expect more, that i do know. So my other question is this with the Video Card over clocked a little less and maybe a little increase of voltages in the Bios what could give me more performance and still obtain the graphics. i diddn't want to last night, but i have screen shots from both systems that i can post, maybe you guys can help a little to get more performance.

A 7600GT should overclock far enough to make it a fair bit faster than the 6800GT and it should also perform better in game since it has a newer GPU.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

You didn't get ripped off, you just fell into the thought that "newer is better"..which is exactly what the industry wants you to think. Granted, PCIe IS a better slot, but AGP was not the bottleneck, so you won't see any improvement using the same GPU. Think of it as towing your car with a moped, just because you change to a stronger rope, don't expect the moped to pull any better. You must realize that, even though you got a newer card, you "downgraded" in the lineup...you should have went with the 7800GT, it would have given you the boost you expected.
    Any improvement with your GPU would be welcomed and would increase your FPS, but overclocking the CPU/MB won't help nearly as much.
    Case - CoolerMaster Wavemaster
    Monitor - 37" Sceptre NagaIII @1080p
    PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
    MB - Asus P5K Deluxe
    CPU - Intel C2D E4300 (overclocks to come ASAP)
    GPU - 7800GTX 256 @ 608/1440 volt mod
    RAM - 2x 1gig Corsair "Dominator" PC2 8500
    Sound - Creative X-FI elite pro
    Klipsh THX certified 4.1
    Sennheiser HD-650 (naked)
    Headroom Micro amp w/desktop mod/Cordas HPI cables
    HDD - 1x 74gig raptor for OS
    3x 74gig raptors in RAID0 for games
    1x 500gig WD for swap file/storage
    Cooling - Appogee CPU/GPU blocks
    3/8"ID 5/8"OD Tygon tubing
    3x 120mm BIE radiator
    Swiftech MCP655 317GPH pump
    Vantec Stealth fans throughout

Laptop - Dell XPS 2
    CPU - PM 2.0
    GPU - 7800 GTX Go @ 440/1300
    RAM - 2 Gigs DDR2
    HDD - 60G 7200rpm + 160G external
    Sound - Audigy2 ZS Notebook, Sony EX51 budphones

You guys in less than 10 hours have helped me understand more than 3 days on other forums, i wish i would have found your ealier, i don't want to bicker about which card is better, the fact that there is more room for improvement is what i was looking for, hince i can increase my CPU, Overclock the video card more. But i needed to understand the diff between AGP vs PCIE. PCIE is suppose to be better, and when i purchased these items, i did expect more, and really i did get more, just as you guys have said not as much as i intented to get. Thank you guys for all your inputs on this matter. I hope i can come to you guys in the future for help on any computer matters.

ok one more of about 5000 questions i may ask. lol. Ok ihave increased the cpu a little but up til now i have never had a Motherboard or CPU that monitored Temp. With this AMD Athlon 3500+, what is the safest running temp, after the increase it is running idle 34 degrees, and after gaming fairly hard, it runs somehwere around 39 - 41 degrees.

Athlon processors won't have issues until they get up over 60C or higher. My personal aim is to make sure the processor never reaches 50, but that's just me.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

For me, 50C was always the point where issues crept in, but I did always run a very high overclock. 60C is definitely the max you want to run it and under 50C is better.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Well i ask because this is only 3% Overclocked and i just gamed it really heavy, and still only got to 41C, i just want to see my limitations without creating smoke, if anyone has this same processor, i only have regular cooling, one 120MM in the backi, 120MM on the side, one 90MM on the top. case is a NZXT Nemesis. and of course the fan on the cpu heat. And one question with the CPU fan, is there any way to run it wide open all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information