Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tweaking nVidia GeForce fx 5500 256mb

Default Tweaking nVidia GeForce fx 5500 256mb

I bought this card, only because I got a very good deal and on a very strict budget. I also bought it because I am playing GTA SA and my integrated ATI 9100 graphics is just barely enough. This card should be plenty to play the game at good resolutions and performance. However, I am having nothing but trouble trying to tune it in.

I deleted the IGP graphics and downloaded the newest nvidia driver. I have a new instalation of windows XP pro SP2. I have newest direct X. I set bios aperature settings to 512mb. I checked the guides section here on tweaking a video card and it is so old that nothing relates to this card.

I think there is something holding the performance back and am not able to figure it out.

Is there anybody who can offer any advice or a step by step tweaking?

GTA SA is the only game I am playing at the moment, and by the time I get around to finishing it, I may be able to replace my system, so I just want to tune it to this game.

I have an Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU
    512 Ram
    130 GB HD
    400w PSU
    Asus P4R800-VM MoBo
    Nvidia Geforce fx 5500 256MB AGP

Thanks

Default Re: Tweaking nVidia GeForce fx 5500 256mb

You really haven't said what your specific problem is. Does the card not function at all or is it just slower than you expected? Is the nVidia card properly recognized in "device manager"? You say you deleted the IGP graphics? I'm not sure what IGP graphics are. A 512 aperture isn't going to make any difference over 128. Have you disabled integrated graphics in the bios and enabled AGP (I'm assuming you are using an AGP card and hoping that you aren't stuck with useing PCI)? Did you completly remove all ATI drivers and restart before installing the nVidia ones?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

FX5500 is marginally better if any better than the 9100IGP chip. Socket 478 Celeron CPU's have only 128MB L2 cache that seriously hurts game performance. Only 512MB of ram is not enough for most games release in the last few years. The list goes on. The best thing I can advise is to make sure you close every background process possible that isn't needed when gaming and try to get more ram. That video card is not gonna help much. You should have picked up a 9800PRO for probably the same money on Ebay.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

i had a 128mb FX5500 for a while, it seemed awesome at first but i quickly realised it was cack.
    but then my current system, with an x800xl equivelent (plays near all games on max) will stutter on san andreas at 1275x1024, so its a demanding game.
    if you can, sell that card and if you cant afford much, a radeon 9600 pro is okay
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

I was hoping that it would be enough to play the game with better performance. Guess that's what happens when bargain shopping.

I meant that I deleted the ATI drivers. I don't see an option for just disabling the integrated graphics.

I read on a guide on hear about setting the aperature to double the card memroy, that's why I did that. And my problem was just that I expected better performance and am wondering what options I might have to get more performance.

I started playing the game anyways, on 800 X 600 and I only have my AVG virus protection running. It plays very similiar to the ATI integrated graphics. Maybe slightly better. The problem I am getting now is that I can only play for about 10 minutes and the game freezes. There is nothing I can do about it after that. It sits there for about 30 seconds and then the computer shuts down and restarts. I have kept trying to play because there was a blue screen that would flash before shutting down once in a while. I fanally got a glimpse of the problem. It said there was a NV4-disp error. I have done some searching on this and am not finding much.

Anyone have a clue as to what this is and how to fix it?

That is your video card overheating and freezing up because it cannot handle modern games. Either take off the case side panel and blow a big fan in there or upgrade the cooling on that card. As I said, not to be a jerk, that card/computer is hardly up to snuff to play recent games. The only option for you is a full system upgrade since investing in an older system like that is not a good idea. Even a better video card and more ram will only boost it up alittle.

I would also shut down AVG while gaming, that will free up a few CPU cycles and might give you and extra 1-2FPS.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Yea, thanks. I really didn't know much about video cards and didn't realize that this card was already so outdated. That is probably why I got it so cheap.

Believe me, after all I've been through with this, I won't make the same mistake next time. I know my system is outdated too, I put it together 4+ years ago, it was a pretty good system then. But all in all it still is, for everything but games, and I'm not big in playing all the latest. That's why I was hoping to just boost the graphics a little for the GTA SA, I like it and the amount of time with a family I get to play is limited.

Well, I guess the post was to see if there was any easy tweaks I could do to get it up to a little better performance, but maybe it's not possible.

Thanks for your guys advice.

the FX series of video cards was the biggest mistake in graphics cards ever.
    the ATI equivelent is still quite good
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Have you overclocked the card? If not, then download Rivatuner and try overclocking it and see if you can pick up a few framerates. You may also want to see if you can overclock your entire system. It might not let you, but if it can, you could maybe pick up a few FPS that way too.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Ok casecutter, I'll check it out.(overclocking).

However, If I am having a heat issue won't overclocking just make it worse?

I checked the fan, it's working, and my case fan blows like crazy. I don't really feel any heat coming from the case either.

I thought I would install my other games, like Wolfenstein, GTA VC, and warcraft II and see if I am able to play for an extended time without it locking up and shutting down. Thing is, I could play them both with my settings maxed out with my Integrated Graphics, so I don't know if they will work the nvidia card as hard as GTA SA.

I am also looking at getting more RAM. Boosting up to 1 GB should help.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information