Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N4V_dll error is there a fix?

Default N4V_dll error is there a fix?

Frustrated.

I have been searching and troubleshooting the problems with this card. Maybe somebody here can offer some light on the subject.

I have an ASUS P4R800-VM MOBO. It has integrated graphic by ATI radeon 9100. I only want to be able to play this GTA SA game that my brother handed down. The on board graphics would play, but it was sometimes a bit choppy. I know my system is getting old, and I will be upgrading in the near future, so I contacted a Nvidia distributer and asked for a low end card that would play with at least Medium to Medium-high settings. They recommended this Geforce 5500 fx 256MB AGP card. I checked ebay and picked it up for $35.00 new.

I installed it and ran the driver cd, rebooted, started the game, turned the settings up, and it played seemingly perfect for almost an hour. Then the screen froze, computer locked up, shut down and restarted. I tried again, and it froze after about 20 min, then again and it consistantly froze after only a few minutes.

That is when I started searching for answers. I discovered that I needed to un-install the ATI driver, so I did, same problem. I was told that I had to use older drivers, I went down to 84.21, same problem. Then when I installed the newer driver, I couldn't play even at lowest settings. No matter what I did, the graphics sucked.

It was suggested that I re-format my HD and re-install windows. Didn't help.

I got fed up and was given an ATI saphire 9250 128MB card that the person was able to play the same game at medium settings. No matter what I did, I could not get a driver to work.

I decided to try the nvidia card again, and deleted the ATI drivers and old nvidia drivers, installed the most recent driver and the game plays perfect again, or so I thought. After about an hour, it froze, then 20 min.....etc.

I read that I need to turn AGP fastwrites off, didn't work, then set them from 8x to 4x, didn't work.

Then I was told that the card is over-heating. I bought a 120mm fan and it is blowing directly on the card with the side panel off. I have another smaller fan directly in back off it pulling air away. I started playing and it still starts freezing up and now the screen just goes black.

My RAM was a little weak and only 516MB so I bought a set of high quality Corsair sticks of 516 dual channel(2x516) sticks. Still waiting for them to come in, probably monday. But I don't think that will solve the problem.

I get the Nv4_dll problem at times when the screen will actually recover from the freeze-up.

I have a 400 watt PSU by PowMax.
    also an Intel Celeron 2.4GHz CPU
    110 GB HD

SOO...........Any solutions to this problem? <!-- --><!-- -->

Thanks <!-- -->
    <!-- -->

Default Re: N4V_dll error is there a fix?

Maybe a silly question, but have you turned off the integrated graphics within BIOS?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Not a silly question. I have been through that too. I don't have anything in Bios that tels me anything about shutting down Integrated graphics. I have looked and looked again. I was told that my mother board must auto detect it and as long as I deleted the ATI driver, it should be good.

Is this wrong? Ideas?

Thanks for the reply

What do you show listed as the first graphics device? You should have choices something along the lines of R9100, AGP, PCI. Make sure that AGP is selected and the onboard graphics should automatically disable.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Correct. I do have an option to switch PCI/AGP or AGP/PCI and I do have it selected as AGP/PCI.

Thanks for the response

Anybody?

Have you tried a different power supply? It is possible that the one you are useing has problems that do not show up without the added drain of a true videocard.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

install the Asus motherboard monitoring util - it may give you some clues as to what is going wrong

Thanks prairiedog, I am looking into the PSU. Will post on my findings.

Worth a try Kheldar, Thanks. Will post findings.

Thanks for the responses and ideas.

Well, after some time, I have found that I need a rather large fan, about 4" blowing on the video card. I also upgraded my RAM to corsair duel channel (2x512) with platinum heat spreaders. I am able to play so far without the game crashing. I put a swith on the fan so I can shut it off(noisy) when not playing.

I checked my PSU voltages. I used a meter and read them while isle and under stess. They are as follows:

idle 11.88v stress 11.80v
    3.11v 3.16v
    5.28v 5.28v

Seems the readings may be a little low?

I have a POWMAX 400w PSU, is this a little underpowered?

I haven't run the ASUS utilities monitor yet. Was busy moving. Will give a try soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information