Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia going bye bye?

ECCHI ECCHI! :scream:

But seriously, wouldn't nVidia buying AMD be a good thing. And could anyone tell me the model numbers/manifacturers of motherboards with the nForce chipset supporting the AMD athlon/duron range?
    Ph33r my L33t n3kk3d sk1llz.

A drunken man's a fool, a madman and a drowned man. The first drink makes him a fool, the second maddens him and the third drowns him. - William Shakespeare, 'The Twelfth Night'

Call me drowned.

Im not too sure about which companies have mobos based on the nForce chipset....I know Asus and Abit do though...:D
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

Although any company can be flushed down the toilet overnight, nVidia isn't showing any signs of that being a possibility ;)

I just hope nVidia + ATi + Matrox can have a 3-way jihad in the high end graphics chip market - and the resulting price wars should benefit the consumer ;)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Quote Originally Posted by Albinus
    Although any company can be flushed down the toilet overnight, nVidia isn't showing any signs of that being a possibility ;)

I just hope nVidia + ATi + Matrox can have a 3-way jihad in the high end graphics chip market - and the resulting price wars should benefit the consumer ;)
    hahaha :laugh:
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

don't forget about creative's entry into the 3d graphics market after their purchase of 3dlabs.. i can't remember the name of thier card but i know it was supposed to be competitive

I own a bit of nVidia stock and no they aren't going out of business. They will continue to make graphics chips, not boards. They make them and it's up to vendors to use them. The reason nVidia is pushing so hard to put out these chips so quickly is competition. Ati and Matrox are making nVidia release them far quicker than they would want to. Remember, nVidia is the ONLY one that doesn't make the cards, so it takes time to mass produce graphic cards based on a new nVidia chipset. nForce is looking much better as a viable mobo, and I bet it will appear as an equal option as other VIA mobos by year's end AND may even accept Intel in the very near future. That means more capital to put into more R&D. nVidia is already got a Geforce7 in the works, and is almost 3 times faster than the GeForce4. nVidia has positioned themselves to be around for a long time since they don't make the boards, just the chips. That prevents them from being a vertical company, like Ati and Matrox. Much less admin costs and the staff that work there are very loyal.

Patrick

GEFORCE 7!!!!!!!!!? They are so fake.....The geforce 4 and geforce 5 probably aren't really different GPU's just souped up geforce 3's....and I know that for a fact cause geforce 3 technology hasn't been optimized yet.....and now there is a geforce 4? geforce 5? geforce 6? geforce 7?????????? They screwed themselves over BIG TIME!!!....but then again you gotta thing that alot of the unexpierienced out there WILL believe them...and go crazy over a geforce 7. I used to think my gefofce 3 was so powerful and that its getting way behind but really its not...

If a geForce4 is so fake, then go try to OC your Ti500 to exceed it. You might exceed the default settings, but that's all. There are many differences in the geForce4 compared to the 3s. Not as many as we are used to (i.e. geForce2 vs geForce 256), but enough. Remember, competition right now is speed. Who gets the fastest card out wins. It used to be who had the best graphics and Matrox won that one. So nVidia is pressured to stay ahead by throwing new versions of the same chipsets with adding functionality like 128MB ram (faster too). Their goal was to wait with the geForce4 and roll out the geForce5 which is a major leap forward in the architechure. If and when the demand for graphics cards based on quality rather than speed, then things will change once again.

Patrick

right........but when you think about it...if all it is, is a speed increase and a memory increase then its not enough to call it a Geforce 4 its not a new GPU just a souped up geforce 3 and I stand on that strongly.....its like a honda civic on steroids....I'm not calling the geforce 3 slow I'm just using that as an analogy...now they could have given it a proper name to follow the geforce 2 series it could have titled the geforce 3 ultra......the difference between the geforce 256 and the geforce 2 was what? speed and memory and alittle bit better graphics architecture. not enough to call it a gefoce 3 but just a better gefoce 2....the geforce 5 I beleive will be a true geforce 4 and what it was supposed to be..

Good point, but it still is market pressure that is causing all this. I'd like to see cards getting back to better image quality rather than speed. Most games today still don't use a Geforce2 to its fullest potential, so even our geForce3 cards will take years before we see games on a regular basis that take advantage of what the cards can do.

On a side note:

At 1280X1024, Anarchy Online gets about 28fps on my non-OCed geForce3.

At 1024x968 (the highest setting), Morrowind gets anywhere from 8 to 80 fps. The average in the city is 20fps. Much room for improvement.

I think game developers are sloppy coders. When was the last time a developer actually wrote his own tools? Most games since 1999 have been developed using some 3rd party tool (sometimes built in-house). When in doubt, go back to machine code.

Has anyone been successful with OCing their cards in XP Pro? I haven't since the XP setup for my Leadtek card fails during the install. I guess I need to download NVmax.

Patrick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information