Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Quick Question about USB KB and Mouse

Default Quick Question about USB KB and Mouse

Hello Guys,

Just joined the board, will come in very handy in the future.

I used to have a PS/2 keybaord and mouse and used to be able to swich on the PC with either one when enabled in BIOS, I now have a USB KB and Mouse and am not able to switch the PC on, I have changed the BIOS settings for the USB KB and Mouse.

I really miss this feature and wondered if anyone know how I can get it back.

Thanks

Tony

Here are my specs if anyone is interested

HomeBuild 3 - Computer Built 17th May 2008
    ------------------------------------------
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5 - 126
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 - 240 (Overclocked to 3.3Ghz)
    Ram - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB PC6400 - 82
    Video Card - Gigabyte 9800GTX (GV-NX98X512H-B)512 MB - 189
    Hard Drives - Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB - 68 Each=136 for both
    DVD DL Lightscribe - Samsung SH-S203PRSMN - 21
    DVD DL - Samsung SH-S203DBEBN - 17
    Case - Antec P182 - 92
    PSU - Corsair 520HX - 59
    CPU Cooler - Zalman 9700NT - 48

Default Re: Quick Question about USB KB and Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by tonymarcus View Post
    Hello Guys,

Just joined the board, will come in very handy in the future.

I used to have a PS/2 keybaord and mouse and used to be able to swich on the PC with either one when enabled in BIOS, I now have a USB KB and Mouse and am not able to switch the PC on, I have changed the BIOS settings for the USB KB and Mouse.

I really miss this feature and wondered if anyone know how I can get it back.

Thanks

Tony

Here are my specs if anyone is interested

HomeBuild 3 - Computer Built 17th May 2008
    ------------------------------------------
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5 - 126
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 - 240 (Overclocked to 3.3Ghz)
    Ram - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB PC6400 - 82
    Video Card - Gigabyte 9800GTX (GV-NX98X512H-B)512 MB - 189
    Hard Drives - Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB - 68 Each=136 for both
    DVD DL Lightscribe - Samsung SH-S203PRSMN - 21
    DVD DL - Samsung SH-S203DBEBN - 17
    Case - Antec P182 - 92
    PSU - Corsair 520HX - 59
    CPU Cooler - Zalman 9700NT - 48
    My P35 manual implies this feature is only available when using a PS2 Mouse or Keyboard. The board support does go one step further than the usual USB support, by adding MSdos USB support when specifically enabled in the bios.

Short of using a KVM etc that supports such a feature, i don't know of anything else on the market. Maybe someone else will.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Short of using a KVM etc that supports such a feature, i don't know of anything else on the market. Maybe someone else will.[/quote]

What is a KVM??

Short of using a KVM etc that supports such a feature, i don't know of anything else on the market. Maybe someone else will.
    What is a KVM??[/quote]

Sorry a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) "Switch". Usually used where you want just one monitor, one keyboard and one mouse but have two or more PC's.
    Some of these have extra features and *might* allow a USB mouse keyboard to activate a PC.
    For instance, some have PS2 cables (some have usb) to connect up to key/mouse to the number of PC's you have in the setup, but allow you to connect a PS2 or USB key/mouse to the KVM itself. I was wondering if where some catered for both USB/PS2 on the user side, yet were connected via PS2 on the KVM to computer side, if they allowed for the function you are after.

There are loads on the market, but they can be expensive and might not be worth the outlay. A typical entry level well known make would be Belkin.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-26-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You may be able to use one of these USB to PS/2 Adapter (I can test on my system if you want Let me know), either mouse or keyboard hooked up with a PS/2 adapter and get it to work. Those are very cheap. Do you know what I mean? If not, here is one for sale so you get the idea (You likely have one somewhere at home or in your boxes for your KB and Mouse) >>>
    USB-to-PS/2 Adapter, from USB Female Port - to PS/2 Male Port, OEM - Discount Online Store Dallas Texas

StarSurplus.Com - USB to PS/2 Adapter - Perfect for USB Mouse/KB to PS/2 Port

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You may be able to use one of these USB to PS/2 Adapter (I can test on my system if you want Let me know), either mouse or keyboard hooked up with a PS/2 adapter and get it to work. Those are very cheap. Do you know what I mean? If not, here is one for sale so you get the idea (You likely have one somewhere at home or in your boxes for your KB and Mouse) >>>
    USB-to-PS/2 Adapter, from USB Female Port - to PS/2 Male Port, OEM - Discount Online Store Dallas Texas

StarSurplus.Com - USB to PS/2 Adapter - Perfect for USB Mouse/KB to PS/2 Port
    I used to use the Keyboard and mouse with one of those adapters but I had problems with the keyboard being reconised after booting in to windows, when I removed the adapter and used the USB to connect the problems dissapeared, perhaps the adapter was faulty.

I think I'll just switch on PC from the switch on the front, bit of a shame but I can live with it.

Thanks to all who answered, was impressed with the amount of replies.

Tony

I used to use the Keyboard and mouse with one of those adapters but I had problems with the keyboard being reconised after booting in to windows, when I removed the adapter and used the USB to connect the problems dissapeared, perhaps the adapter was faulty.

I think I'll just switch on PC from the switch on the front, bit of a shame but I can live with it.

Thanks to all who answered, was impressed with the amount of replies.

Tony
    That's why I suggested a KVM over one of those adapters, as I believe some do cater for the option you were looking for.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Could have been a bad adapter or you just needed to go into device manager and scan for new hardware and install a driver

Thread Information