Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor old 3dfx.....what ever happened to them???

Thanks Mr c! I will read the article! And thanks for the replys...Yeah, I think if Creative Labs gets in the game....things may just change...they have the money and talent to go head to head with an established company like nvidia or radeon! Competition is good for consumers, that is why I was wondering what happened to a company like 3dfx that made such good chips in the past! Oh, well, too bad they couldn't have handled their finances better! They were a pretty good company that made chips at a decent price! For now though, it looks like either radeon or nvidia, not many choices!!

Yesterday i saw a voodoo 3 for sale NEW at www.gamedude.com.au PCI for $99 i would of been tempted execpt for the fact I have a spare voodoo 3 sitting on my shelf at home :D
    But it wasn't made by 3Dfx, it was a 3rd party one, i thought they stopped doing that after the 2 and banshee:confused:
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

I still use my Voodoo5-5500 for Quake and QuakeII as Quake won't even run on my RADEON 8500 and the Voodoo5's image quality is far better in QuakeII.

Also, 3dfx's 4x FSAA is superior to even the Parhelia-512's 16x AA.

3dfx is dead. Long live 3dfx.:afro:
    Abit-ST6RAID
    1.4GHz Tualitin Celereon oc'ed to 1.736GHz
    3dfx Voodoo5-5500 (182/182)
    MSI GeForce4-Ti4400 (330/630)
    40.9 GB UATA 100
    90 GB UATA 100
    SB Live! Value
    NDC Fast 10/100 Ethernet
    Cable Modem, @rogers
    21" ViewSonic P810
    32x Panasonic CD-ROM
    ASUS 32x12x40 CD-R/RW
    300w power supply
    ThermalTake Volcano 7+
    3x 80mm ANTEC case fans
    Winduhs XP Pro

It does my ol' heart good to see that others are as loyal to their beloved 3DFX cards as I am.

I can picture an annual event where we all get together on a long holiday weekend where we can swap stories, drivers, run benchmarks and have a flea-market.
    It'll be like a Thresherman's Reunion for 3DFX'ers:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I'd love to own a Voodoo 5 6000, but at the prices they go for on eBay when auctioned off...sheesh! Still, that would be cool to have, even if it wasn't working.

There is a site called www.enpc.com that has a brand new 3dfx voodoo5 5500 video card for 99.00!! (It includes power cable and installation software) Would anybody even want it though??

Quote Originally Posted by webe3
    There is a site called www.enpc.com that has a brand new 3dfx voodoo5 5500 video card for 99.00!! (It includes power cable and installation software) Would anybody even want it though??
    considering that a V5 couldn't keep up to a Gf2GTS 32MB & that GF2Ti 64Mb cards are available for the same price & that new games like UT2003 won't even run on a V5 (I've tried :mad: ) why would you buy one?

Maybe if you wanted it for a museum piece

"the last 3DFX card ever produced" :rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by False Christian
    I still use my Voodoo5-5500 for Quake and QuakeII as Quake won't even run on my RADEON 8500 and the Voodoo5's image quality is far better in QuakeII.
    that's odd Q1 and Q2 run fine/look fine on my Radeon8500 - what drivers are you using?

Unreal and UT still run great on Voodoo's - allthough I doubt you'll be seeing anymore Glide games

Quake won't even run on my RADEON 8500
    Hahahahahahahhaah!

Q1, and Q2 both run great on TNT's !!! Clearly you have some basic driver problems...

Give it up, 3dfx did have some big jumps forward in its earlier days, but the V5 was an afterthought, and it is nothing but crap.

Anyone remember that website that mocked the V5??? the WooHooo 345 !!!???? I still have the html from the Original page, and the MAIN picture of the Woohoo5, but I don't have the ... HAHA I kick ASS, I have more than I thought!!!!!!!

I should ressurect the page, just for fun. I think at the time, 3dfx forced them to take the page down, and i don't know if it ever got back up.

Here it is, in all its Comedic Glory: (in the days of 1024, and before IE had the customizable favorites bar - and I didn't know about F11 yet)

HAHAHAHahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahaha!

Well, I found it hosted at the creator's current site.... Here it is:

http://www.ultimatechaos.com/ucfx/

Read everything, its hillarious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information