Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor old 3dfx.....what ever happened to them???

Man! I can remember the days when the voodoo(1,2,3, etc.) cards were the thing! Now, more or less, they are considered a joke by some of the more serious gamers! It is either the radeon or nvidia geforce 3 or 4 Ti cards that are getting the market share now! What happened to that company? Did they get a shakeup in management or something??

After making some poor marketing decisions, nVidia bought them out. Case closed.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I miss the rivalry, Nvidia monopolizes the market. Matrox needs to get back in the game with their new card.

Beefy Guest

nvidia don't really have a monopoly... ATi are doing fairly well with the Radeon cards... but once the Parhelia comes out, things should change a little bit.

ahhh........back in the day.
    I miss Aureal too.
    3DFX and Aureal really added a whole new effect on my ol' computer. Oh well, onwards and upwards:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

You might want to see what Creative does in the future as well. I understand that they just bought out 3dLabs and are planning on getting into the consumer level 3d market again... as well as keeping up with the CAD level video cards as well. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

webe3 __ I've put this link in this forum somewhere before:?:
    But anyway, here's a nice article on nVidia/3DFX from salon

It's a pretty good read that should cover your question well.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Ahhh Aureal.....I loved my Vortex 1 card. Went really well with my Videologic PowerVR card. They're another one that disappeared, their technology got bought by Kyro I think.....
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

And a big thanks to all the folks who keep the drivers for these products online. Nice to have in case my media takes a dump:thumb:

Yeah listen to Darthtanion, Creative is really planning some revolutionary video card designs as well as chips. Things should get interesting as soon as Creative jumps in the pit. I used to love their cards based off the 3dfx chips, they had the coolest boxes. :p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information