Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GeFORCE4 FPS

SUp, I have a Geforce4 MX420 Pci PNY. I get a low fps like 40-50 when playing counter-strike. I have the tool to adjust my setting too. I have tried to tweak it, but i still get low fps. My old voodoo card got more fps than this one. What should i do? what are the best settings?

thx

Um dude you got an MX. The suck. really the only relavience GF4 MX has to the GF4 line is the name. Nothing else. Hell a GF3 Ti500 can kick an MX's ass n e day.

My suggestion.......Buy a GF4 Ti 4200, pretty cheap card but really kicks some ass.

csplayer932 I have the GF4 MX440 and it pulls well over 100fps so maybe there is something wrong in the setup for you. :?:
    Give us the details of ya system and software. :smokin:

F**k You not all of us can afford them plus have ya seen a PCI version of them? ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

The most limiting factor you have is that it is a PCI card.

Even the AGP version of that card is only equal to a fairly good Geforce 2.

I don't know why you are getting such low FPS in Counterstrike though. CS is based on half life, and neither of them require a Glide enabled card! So it can be played decently with the oldest of PCI cards. Heck, I get 85 FPS in 800 X 600 in Counterstrike on My PII 233, with a 16 meg PCI TNT !

I have an idea. Go into CS, Video Options, and make sure that you DO NOT have 'software' mode enabled. Anything else is better. Select OpenGL. That should do it I bet.

======

For todays use, The GF4 MX is just a good card for people who aren't going to be doing any gaming, and that is the reason it was even made in the first place.

i have a P2 400mhz...256mb ram. My setting for the geforce card are FOR opengl

anti aliasing - 2 samples
    textures -1
    color 16bits
    filtering mode: bilinear or tri
    v-sync default off
    buffer flipping: block transfer
    frames rendered ahead: 16
    micellaneous: buffer region extension ticked
    buffer regoin use video memory ticked
    geforce accelerated lines ticked...

cs is on opengl mode. default .

i have directx 8.1....i heard this can f*** your fps up too

Even the AGP version of that card is only equal to a fairly good Geforce 2.

Its not equal to a good GeForce 2 the Geforce 4 MX420 slightly outperforms the GeForce 2 Ultra whilst the MX440 outperforms all the GeForce 2's easily . Also you have an MX420, which is the cheaper ram/lower clocked version, and the most important thing is your card is PCI. PCI cards perform dramatically less than AGP cards of the same name. I think a GeForce 4 MX420 PCI would be about equivalent in performance to a GeForce 2 GTS. But even off that you should be easily getting 60+ FPS. My guess is a software bottleneck somewhere along the line, hard to say where.

Also F**K You (man your are so cool) GeForce 4 MX440's are good video cards and i am considering buying one myself, its just that i believe spending $380 on a Ti4200 seems ridiculous to me. $380 just to play games is a waste.

doesn;t the GF4mx 420 have SD ram?ewwww:D
    Epox 8RDA+
    xp2100@ 2.46ghz (214x11.5)
    Radeon 9700 pro
    512mb corsair xms3200 5-3-2-2@214
    512k ADSL
    SLK-800 HSF
    SB Audigy + Ultrasone HFI650DVD
    modded case: 2x120mm,4x80mm
    40GB Seagate Barracuda 4
    Sony trinitron 17"
    Antec Trupower 380W
    3D mark2003 : 5050

No. it has DDR

I'm not suprised with that result, the GF4 MX420 PCI is pretty shocking! If it was AGP, than it would be better, a GF2 MX400 would be better than that and also, voodoo cards are still the best pci cards around, so go agp if u can!

Quote Originally Posted by Ehhe Yebeb
    No. it has DDR
    I was under the impression that the MX 420 model had SDR Ram as well - only the 440 & 460 models had DDR.

Reviews of the MX420 are very few and far between - where did you get this info from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information