Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This may help those worried about vid card compatibilities w

The book is RIGHT... Soyo tech support are WRONG. Go ahead, pop in a 3.3v agp card in your agp slot, give the board juice, power 'er up and watch the blue sparks at the rear of the agp slot :) It's a very fun show that (on this older gf2 i use now for just testing heh) requires a physical mod of the card to get to work again (bypassing some burnt out leads).. and the mobo is toast. Try it at your own risk, but your manual is right.
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

thnx

Hey Wiggo,

Do you have a link to that web site that lists wattages of various video cards? I can remember a site like that, and I think I have it bookmarked, but I cannot seem to find it.

Here is what I'm considering for an uncle... He has a Compaq from roughly 99,

P3 500,
    AGP 2X (with ATI Rage 8 mb - not GL capable)
    128 MB
    165 Watt PSU (big for the time)

those are the original specs, and I have already installed a 40 GB seagate, 384 MB, and I've done a fresh install of 98se. The icing on the cake would be a GF2 MX-ish range vid card, but I am trying to determine a low wattage vid card, because we all know compaqs are as fragile as 125 year old women.

BTW: do not attempt this at home, compaqs are CRAP, and they do not obey ANY standards of PC construction... everything is upside down, backwards, and horribly designed.

Sorry this is way off the thread topic, but I didn't figure this was worth its own thread... all I really need is that website, if it exists. Comments are appreciated as well... :)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I have Soyo Dragon Ultra Whatnot KT400. I have radeon 9700 pro it works dandy. what was the question again?
    -|Soyo Dragon kt400 - XP 1600+ - 1 GB pc2700 - radeon 9700pro- Amstel Light|-

-|Mystery Mobo - celeron 1.2 - 256 whatver sdram - geforce4mx440 - Coors Light|-

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    zeradul[/size]]
    Hey Wiggo,

Do you have a link to that web site that lists wattages of various video cards? I can remember a site like that, and I think I have it bookmarked, but I cannot seem to find it.

Here is what I'm considering for an uncle... He has a Compaq from roughly 99,

P3 500,
    AGP 2X (with ATI Rage 8 mb - not GL capable)
    128 MB
    165 Watt PSU (big for the time)

those are the original specs, and I have already installed a 40 GB seagate, 384 MB, and I've done a fresh install of 98se. The icing on the cake would be a GF2 MX-ish range vid card, but I am trying to determine a low wattage vid card, because we all know compaqs are as fragile as 125 year old women.

BTW: do not attempt this at home, compaqs are CRAP, and they do not obey ANY standards of PC construction... everything is upside down, backwards, and horribly designed.

Sorry this is way off the thread topic, but I didn't figure this was worth its own thread... all I really need is that website, if it exists. Comments are appreciated as well... :)
    The only wattage lists that I can remember are for CPU's only but I do have an old PII 400 that is quite happy with it's Xpert Vision 64MB GF2 MX400 but it does have a 200W PSU.

BTW there are worse things than Compaqs out there.

ye just stick it in will all work

Hmnmmm, well I'm not sure if this effects me in any way but just to make sure since I skimmed through the sites and still unsure whats happening, I have one question.
    I just bought a ATi Radeon 9800PRO which is arriving in the mail in a weeks time, my motherboard is AGP 4x, if I'm correct it's 1.5v will I encoutner problems using the AGP 8x card on a 4x mobo port?
    Thanks.

no because the graphics card will only set its slef 2 running @ 4x. this is so u wont encounter probs, also im usin an 8x card in 4x main board an no probs as yet,

alan

Pheeeew, thank god for that then. *sigh of relief*
    Didn't want to get the Radeon and it not work on my setup.

As always.......thx....good read.
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information