Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sapphire VAPOR-X HD 4890 OC Edition 1GB GDDR5 Review

Default Re: Sapphire VAPOR-X HD 4890 OC Edition 1GB GDDR5 Review

Wow, If you hadn't mentioned it I would say this was written by an experienced reviewer, Lsd! Very good first attempt at doing a review. I especially liked the photos.

One small comment, though. Would be more helpful if there is a price comparison made of this 4890 with similar performing NVIDIA and ATI current offerings (GTX275? 5770?) so that buyers will be guided better in choosing their next card?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Cool, thanks!!

Took me a while longer than expected, but I thought I needed to make it as thorough as possible since it was my first GFX review.

Thanks for the thoughts on price comparisons, I will keep that in mind for future reviews! I have a review I will be starting work on very shortly for a GIGABYTE card so I will be sure to add something along those lines to it.

Hi, is the Toxic version better than the Vapor-X version? Since the Toxic too has Vapor-X technology & a much higher clock but i heard that they tend to run hotter & louder than the Vapor-X version. My question, if I were to buy a Sapphire card & choose between a Vapor-X & a Toxic version of the card, which would i choose in terms of:

• Performance
    • Price
    • Power Consumption
    • Temperature
    • Noise

Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by j0sh26 View Post
    Hi, is the Toxic version better than the Vapor-X version? Since the Toxic too has Vapor-X technology & a much higher clock but i heard that they tend to run hotter & louder than the Vapor-X version. My question, if I were to buy a Sapphire card & choose between a Vapor-X & a Toxic version of the card, which would i choose in terms of:

• Performance
    • Price
    • Power Consumption
    • Temperature
    • Noise

Thanks
    It depends on what you are looking for. Vapor-X is cooler and quieter, but has no voltage control so not sure how the overclock end of it compares.

Personally I'd just get a stock card and buy your own custom cooler. In my experience , something like the Scythe Musashi Scythe "MUSASHI" Twin-Fan VGA Cooler is both quieter and cooler than the Vapor-X coolers, which aren't IMO all that great. Sure they're better than stock, but so is a piece of tin foil stuck to the chip with adhesive tape and placed in the oven at 400F. :)

Recently built two systems with HD4890's (had a couple of stock ones left and bought in a Vapor-X model by request) about 5 months ago actually. The Vapor X card was at about 70c at full load, and the Scythe cooled stock card only hit 66c. The Musashi cooler was also noticably quieter even set to maximum (you get a seperate back plate with two potentiometers to adjust the speed independantly.

The only thing you have to take care of with after market coolers is the VRM's. These things can hi over 100c even when the GPU is well within range, if not cooled propperly. Grab some copper/aluminium heatsinks for them. The Scythe Musashi has, idealy, one of the fans right over the VRM's on my pair of 4850's so they stay exceptionally cool. With the stock Asus cooler and no heatsinks on the VRM's, the card crashes at 685 core and 1000 RAM. With correct cooling I'm running at 725 core and 1100 ram and could push it to about 740 core if I wanted to.

One might think that having a factory OC'd card is a safe bet, but I have yet to see a stock 4890 that can't be OC'd to very near 1000MHz core. For this reason I'd recommend the Asus range of voltage controllable cards. Even a regular stock card will hit the same speeds as the mentioned Saphire cards with custom cooling.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information