Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: xp video <= 800x600

upgraged my win98 machine to xp.

i can't get my video card above 800x600.

S3 Aurara 64+ video adapter with Dell monitor. running a 233 pent II, 64 mg mem.

what's up with that?

Not to mention being shy of 192MB of memory, XP really isn't a good idea to run on that old PC (most reckon the minimum PII 300MHz 128MB memory but 256MB is much better). Plus I don't think that driver support for that video card is real crash hot in XP at all.
    There are ways to make the system faster by going into the performance properties of My Computer an setting it to the "adjust for best performance".
    My real oppinion would be to put 98 back on it as XP is just too demanding for that setup. :smokin:
    &lt;center&gt;:cheers:&lt;/center&gt;

Straight from Microsoft...

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
    128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
    1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
    Super VGA (800 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
    CD-ROM or DVD drive
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Since you don't meet their recommended system specs, it should come as no surprise that WinXP isn't working for you. Wiggo also brought up a very valid point concerning XP driver support for your video card... it looks to be nonexistent.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

and do you think an extra 192 mb of memory would help any?

It would help alot having a least 256MB though it would be even happier with 512MB all up. But definately right click on My Computer, Properties then go to the Advanced tab click on Settings in the Performance section and click the setting, Adjust for best performance, and that should help ya a bit. ;)
    &lt;center&gt;:cheers:&lt;/center&gt;

ok ..... it more mem for me. I'm going to load this baby up and see what she'll do. I'll ;et you know what kind of performance I get.:wave:

Keep us informed.

Thread Information