Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: how to display on regular tv???

I'm just wondering how you can get your computer picture to display on a regular tv. I have an s-video connection on my video card and tried hooking it up to my 27in tv but that didn't work. I also have a mitsubishi widescreen but haven't tried it on that. Is it possible to do this? I mean, i've seen it done before but do i have to purchase some type of expensive hardware or something? i would appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Thanks!
    ASUS A7N8X DX
    Athlon XP 2100+
    Volcano 11
    1024mb Samsung PC2700
    (2) WD 80gig SE
    Chaintech GeForce3 Ti200
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
    LG GCE-8320B CD-RW
    LG GSA-4163B DVD-RAM
    Win XP Pro Sp2

Have you gone into the Display Properties of the card and changed it over to the TV?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

no i sure haven't...i didn't even know that was an option. as soon as i get home i'll try that.

Thanks!
    ASUS A7N8X DX
    Athlon XP 2100+
    Volcano 11
    1024mb Samsung PC2700
    (2) WD 80gig SE
    Chaintech GeForce3 Ti200
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
    LG GCE-8320B CD-RW
    LG GSA-4163B DVD-RAM
    Win XP Pro Sp2

um it should work through the S-Video connector. As for switching over the display properties to TV it does that automatically. However you need to use a TV that supports S-Video cause the TV in my bedroom doesn't and I used a converter and plugged that in and I was playing quake 3 in black and white!! my whole comptuer was in black and white. As for the big screen in my family room it supports s-video and everythign worked fine. But I was afraid to play quake 3 on it thinking it would damage the TV :cry: maybe the S-Video connector or the cable itself is damaged?

This may seem like a dumb question, but i've seen this before.

Are you sure the S-Video is out and not in?
    Some cards have S-Video in where you can hook up a vcr to your computer. If it's S-Video in, then it won't send a signal "out" to your TV.

Just something to check for.

If your television does not support s-video and you get the black n white picture only you can usually fix it with s-video - composite cable adapter.

Most Ati's (made by Ati) cards here in europe are sold with both s-video and composite cable.

The picture quality is said to be better with s-video but I've seen both in action and I'd say depending on television the difference is very small to none.

Andy

I have connected my computer via my G4 Ti4400 S-video out to my RCA 56" bigscreen (high def) and got 1024 x 768 res i also bought the sound connector and have watched many a DVD quality AVI using this setup.However , when i had originally tried to do this with an old G2 ultra all i got was nothing.XP does indeed set the res automatically......but if your tv isnt hi-def then the res is going to be horrible 240 or 480 max.I have yet to try my R9700 (see other thread) but when my mobo issues are resolved i will.......

Thread Information