Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 2 video cards not detected by ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Default 2 video cards not detected by ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

I bought my new computer from Cyberpowerpc.com and I have this make me crazy issue.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    HIS radeon 6870
    Thermaltake 850W PSU
    Intel Core i5-2600K
    16 GB RAM kingston
    120 GB OCZ SSD
    Windows 7-64bits

My video card (in PCIE2) was detected for 1.5 days, then not anymore. Then later it was detected again for 3-4 days then notanymore again.
    I uninstalled and installed again Windows 7 or Windows XP about 5-6 times.
    I updated all the drivers and the BIOS from ASRock.com, and nothing.
    I bought a new video card Sapphire Radeon HD6790 to put it in the second PCIe port (PCIE4), nothing.
    Fan from both video cards are spinning.

So I have 2 video cards that are not detected ! Not really fun to play !
    Is there a trouble with the PCIe ports?

Thank you for any help.

Default Re: 2 video cards not detected by ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

I assume you are 100% certain both VC's were seated completely into the pci E slot and that the power cable was plugged in fimly. Assuming that is all correct, I think I would take avantage of cyber power tech support. There could be an issue with your MB as you tried 2 cards in 2 different slots, right? I can't see your OP on my blackberry. 2 cards not working makes me suspicious of the MB but could be another issue like PSU. It worked randomly from the time you first got it now nothing? Hmmmm. Do you have the option of calling their tech line or sending an email?

Hi, thank you for trying to solve my issue. Yes, I checked everything. I'm lost. So I sent an email to the tech support of Cyberpowerpc. Let's see how much time it will take for them to answer, and see their advice.

Yea, hope they don't take a week to reply. Hey, I noticed at the top of the forum there is an asrock connection. Isn't your MB asrock? Maybe you can ask there too?
    Let us know what happens

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Are you using the most recent bios for your motherboard?
    Have you tested each of your video cards, one at a time in each pci-e x16 slot?
    Have you connected a 4-pin molex connector the the motherboard, just above the pci-e_1 (x1) slot?
    Is the power supply's 8-pin EPS_12v connector plugged into the motherboard?
    Have you tested with stock cpu and memory settings? Overclocked settings?
    Is your cpu and heatsink properly seated and secure?

Try clearing your CMOS for one minute, you might need to clear the CMOS for 10 - 30 minutes, and possibly longer.
    You should unplug the external power supply cable from the electrical outlet before clearing the CMOS.

Have you unplugged your power supply from the wall outlet BEFORE removing and/or installing your hardware?

There might be a problem with your power supply or with one or more of the 6/8 pin psu power cables.
    Can you test with an older video card that does NOT require any psu power cables?

You might need to test your system with a minimal hardware setup with only one memory module installed.
    You might need to test with your motherboard removed from the computer case, where you place the motherboard on a cardboard box (or some books) beside your computer case. I always build and test my systems this way before I install the motherboard in the computer case.

Even with brand new hardware, you might need to clean the video cards' pci-e electrical connectors with 91% isopropyl alcohol. You might need to gently clean the motherboard's pci-e x16 slots with a lint free cloth that is lightly moistened with the 91% alcohol. You can buy the alcohol at a local drugstore or department store.

I am editing and locking your duplicate thread in the ASRock forum to include a link to this thread and request that forum members post replies in this thread.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Are you using the most recent bios for your motherboard?
    Have you tested each of your video cards, one at a time in each pci-e x16 slot?
    Have you connected a 4-pin molex connector the the motherboard, just above the pci-e_1 (x1) slot?
    Is the power supply's 8-pin EPS_12v connector plugged into the motherboard?
    Have you tested with stock cpu and memory settings? Overclocked settings?
    Is your cpu and heatsink properly seated and secure?

Try clearing your CMOS for one minute, you might need to clear the CMOS for 10 - 30 minutes, and possibly longer.
    You should unplug the external power supply cable from the electrical outlet before clearing the CMOS.

Have you unplugged your power supply from the wall outlet BEFORE removing and/or installing your hardware?

There might be a problem with your power supply or with one or more of the 6/8 pin psu power cables.
    Can you test with an older video card that does NOT require any psu power cables?

You might need to test your system with a minimal hardware setup with only one memory module installed.
    You might need to test with your motherboard removed from the computer case, where you place the motherboard on a cardboard box (or some books) beside your computer case. I always build and test my systems this way before I install the motherboard in the computer case.

Even with brand new hardware, you might need to clean the video cards' pci-e electrical connectors with 91% isopropyl alcohol. You might need to gently clean the motherboard's pci-e x16 slots with a lint free cloth that is lightly moistened with the 91% alcohol. You can buy the alcohol at a local drugstore or department store.

I am editing and locking your duplicate thread in the ASRock forum to include a link to this thread and request that forum members post replies in this thread.

I did everything younsuggested and no improvement. It took me a while to do that, so much time wasted. Cyberpowerpc.com sent me an email Last thursday to tell me they will send me a replacement motherboard, but no news since then. Awful customer service. Very fustrated not being able to play games with my 2 video cards.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

It's a PITA to do the testing, but it's the only way to try to diagnose the problem and avoiding the time and expense of RMAing all your hardware.
    There have been quite a few threads in the ASRock forum where one or more video cards are not detected.

Good luck, let us know how your replacement motherboard works out.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I trust you already tried disabling the CPU's IGP in the bios cpu settings?

Sometimes simple things can be overlooked, I have the same board.
    i7 2600k@4.5ghz WC'd | Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce X3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 4x4gb@2133mhz | 4x2TB Raid 10 Seagate Green's+Intel 520 120gb cache | ASRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3 | TT Level 10 GT | Samsung S27A950 | Xfi Fatal1ty Pro | Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Corsair SP2500 | Corsair AX-750W | Razer Lycosa Mirror ed., Steelseries D3 Mouse

Thread Information