Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Nv30

Checkout Visiontek's website, and if that's a reproduction of the FX's fan, then there's no way I'll be fitting one to
    any PC's I build or own, it really does sound like a jet engine, if Nvidia seriously believe that people want to hear that
    racket, then I'm stunned.

Visiontek

RDR, Chill, that was just a bit of fun, we all realise that as the forum moderator you're unbiased, but as a forum member
    you're allowed to express your opinion like any of us.

More FX fun

NVIDIA probably could have designed a NV-30 class part on the 0.15u process, but there would have been some
    very significant tradeoffs to do so. They would have had to cut back from the 125 million plus transistor design
    and go with something a bit more simple. Other tradeoffs would have been things like clock speed, or making a
    hybrid 96/128 bit floating point pixel pipeline (much like what ATI has) to save on transistor costs. This part would
    have probably been around the same speed as the Radeon 9700 Pro for the high end, but NVIDIA wanted a chip
    that was going to outrun anything ATI had at the time, so they chose the riskier 0.13u process. Of course it is nice
    to have a chip that can run at 500 MHz, but it isnít nice when you canít have that chip on the market and the
    competition has passed you by.

Read article

Gainward's 5800, (£329.42 inc) and 5800 Ultra (£431.34 inc) can now be pre-ordered
    from UK site Komplett, their unconfirmed delivery date is the 7th of March.

Gainward Geforce FX 5800 128mb DDR2 AGP, "Ultra/800 Plus GS", Retail
    Gainward Geforce FX 5800 Ultra 128mb DDR2 AGP, "Ultra/1000 Plus GS" m/lyd & 1394

Reportedly Gainward's Ultra model will ship with a 7db cooler,
    if this proves to be true, why couldn't Nvidia manage to do this?

Gainward FX 5800 Ultra box shot

Nvidia has updated it's Geforce FX 5800 Ultra cooling system, now the fan remains inactive (silent) when in 2D mode,
    and only kicks in when running 3D applications, they say the revised card is around 5db quieter than the original. [H]

5 db ?? that's it ? how about 50 db guys ? come on......
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by E^vol
    5 db ?? that's it ? how about 50 db guys ? come on......
    It's a start...
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Beefy Guest

I wanna know what the sound card is that ships with that Gainward Ultra 1000.

NVIDIA UK HAS REFUSED to comment on a posting on a 3D bulletin board claiming that the GeForce FX is for
    the chop. According to the rumour, posted at x-3DFX, Nvidia is canning the GeForce FX and has told its foundry,
    Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp (TSMC), to stop when 100,000 NV30 are produced. The same posting
    claimed that Nvidia will now concentrate on NV31, NV34, and NV35. warp2search

"Never in the history of computing has so much bull**** been written by so many with such little truth"
    Ė a friend close to Nvidia
    the inquirer

Cameron,

I registered to post re: your front page GFFX thoughts. I agree with waiting until retail level products & drivers are available before passing final judgement. I don't think you quite undertand the Nvidia/NV30 situation, however...

It's most unlikely that AIBs/OEMs bother with a redesign of the reference board. The complexity of the 12-layer PCB & QC have necessitated Nvidia choosing 1 or 2 select AIB partners which will then supply all other OEMs with a finished SKU, sans cooler (if desired). If we look @ the GF4 series, all retail products are of reference design inc. the rev2 PCB of the Ti4200.

Your reference to CG & that "ATI will also support it in their R350" is completely wrong. CG is Nvidia's version of the MS HLSL & is designed to expose Nvidia hardware features. Why would ATI support this given the DX9 HLSL offers all their functionality? There's no point in them writing a back-end for an Nvidia optimising solution... Sure, CG offers some nice features for developers such as porting DX-OGL, but Nvidia needs this level of functionality as evidenced by Carmack's recent GFFX performance comments.

Your comments re: enjoying the scenery are also peculiar given the unfortunate state of FSAA & 1st order approximations of AF (unless the super slow fallback GF4 AF is selected). I agree that shaders v2.0, certainly look good, though! Ultimately the GFFX in it's present form is more a developer's board than an end-user's/gamer's, due to it's greater flexibility & design trade-offs...

huh?

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information