Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: a question about OEM vidcards

Ok,
    Can someone tell me if there is a difference in performance in with say for instance a OEM Geforce3 ti 500 from vision tek for say 120 dollars or the retail version which is for sale for the regular price?like is it the same hardware ecept that one comes with more waranty and extra software cause i dont need all those stuff.

You really answered your own question! OEM stuff IS the real thing as far as the original product goes.....it just does not have all the bells and whistles of a retail product... like warranties or tech support or even extra software....only what is necessary to run the hardware, like drivers for example. You can get great deals on OEM if you look hard enough and don't care about the other things I mentioned. I got a good deal on an OEM soundblaster live 5.1 sound card awhile back.....paid 33.00 for it and retail it goes for about 99.00!! WORKS GREAT! So if you don't need all the bells and whistles of a retail product, go for it!

well it will have some warranty. But when buying boxed products you pay more for the software bundle, etc. Not the actual card. That is the reason why if I had bought a Radeon 9700 retail....I would have been pissed. It comes with nothing over the OEM version! :thumbs do

Yes, if you are buying a ATI Radeon buy it OEM. It will save you $20-$30. But take the Giga-Byte version of the Radeon. The retail version comes with 3 games or so. If you were to buy it OEM it would not have the games. So just make sure there are no EXTRAS that you wanted...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

What re the GPU and memory clocked at on your OEM Radeon board? I ask because ATi used a slower speed on their OEM line of 8500 series boards... maybe to get more retail sales? Who knows, but I do know that there was a difference.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Not sure, but you could probably OC it to at least what the retail ones are (if they are lower). Because to put them lower they prob just clocked it at lower speeds...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

No... they were truly slower cards. :(
    My Toys

Yes and had to be voltage modded to get them up to retail levels usually, with 7500's & 8500's anyway. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

So back to the question... Do the retail and OEM versions of the newer Radeon boards run at the same clock speeds?
    My Toys

Thread Information