Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GeForce 3 performance problems!

I am the happy owner of a Point of View GeForce 3 128 Mb DDR RAM video card

One day I wonderede why the game Mafia had trouble with the graphics. I thought that that couldn't be with such a potent video card.

Well maybe it is because of my slow CPU (AMD Duron 800 MHz), but I decided to try 3D Mark 2001SE as suggested in one of the Tweak guides.

I only got a total of 4230! In all the tests I have read with similar video cards the number is over 6000!

I have installed the newest 4-in-1 AGP drivers. I have forced the AGP port to 4x. Still nothing.

I am running Windows XP.

Can anyone help?

Have you used the RefreshForce or something similar to fix the refresh rate and make sure that AA and Vertical Sync are disabled in the drivers as these will impact on performance (also having AGP Fast Write enabled can cause probs too but not always), plus do be sure that you run 3DMark 2001SE at its default settings. Another thing to look at is the AGP Aperture Size which is usually set to 64MB but depending on the amount of system RAM you have (one thing ya didn't say or what type) it would be better set at 128MB (for 256MB system memory or more). One last thing is to make sure that you have no unnecessary processes running in the background and set XP itself to run at "for best performance" under system properties :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Aside from everything wiggo said which are all helpful pointers, im still looking at the CPU. Im guessing that it is running off either PC100 or PC133 SDRam correct? No matter what you do with that setup you will be hard pressed breaking 5000

Thanks for all your excellent replys.

Yes I am running PC133 SD RAM on my Abit KT7A-RAID motherboard.

I'm suspecting that it is my processor that is holding my video card back.

My refresh rate problem is solved.

René Klemens

BTW, does anybody know anything about the aperture size setting in bios?

Wiggo, you suggested to set it at 128 Mb, but my bios have it set at 256 Mb. Does it make a difference?

I have 512 Mb installed in my system and running Win XP.

René Klemens

You should be fine as it's usually half the amount but a change just to a DDR mobo will lift your performance quite a bit and later you could upgrade the CPU to an Athlon XP. An 800MHz Duron unlocked will usually o/c to 1GHz on a 133MHz FSB with a 7.5 multiplier anyway which would also improve performance a lot. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

mafia aint that hard on a vc or cpu - usually when u see some1 with performance issues on a gfx card, its cos AA is at x2 or x4, somefin like that
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

AA usually doesnt make games look too much better. Make sure it's either off or at a pretty low setting...
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Unless your running 16x AA then you can see a slight difference, IMO FSAA is not worth using with any GF4 Ti card.

The slight difference isnt worth the loos in frames (Prolly quite high). Also the graphics may lag a little at thise setting (unless it's a Radeon 9700 or better (maybe))
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Thread Information