Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions about PNY and Tiger Direct...

Well, My lovely GF4 Ti4600 has bit the dust... HORRIBLY. The only way I could get it to work is by lightly pushing down on the corner and holding my hand there. Sometimes I could get it into a position that would work fine but it would end up crashing. When taking the card out to wrap up and send away, I heard a crack, nothing too big but I could hear it. I decided to put on a rubber glove and touch the transistors to see if it had came from there and, surely enough, it did. That is weird considering I've had this board for about 5 months. In the five months I had put a water-cooling shindig together to see if I could get the heat to die down, and also switched motherboards. I also put it in another computer to see if it was the mb. Now I have my trusty but damn slow VooDoo3 2000 in the computer. OK, now I've never returned any hardware before and I'm sort of nervous. I want to know if the tampering with the heatsink will void my warranty. The fact that I had to clean the thermal compound off the GPU to put water specific compound on makes me think they will reject it. Also, what is a "refurbished" product like the other post. Can they repair a "loose" transistor. Has my warranty gotten corrupt? Please help!:confused:

Most of the time, modifications will void the warranty. I personally do not try to return a product I have fiddled with.

If you still have the original heatsink/fan that came with the card, you could try to put that on VERY CAREFULLY so as not to make it look like it was removed. You MIGHT be able to get away with it since you put the original back on there, and the heatsink had nothing (apparently) to do with the malfunction.

You can try to clean the water compound off with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a Q-tip. Replace the thermal grease with similar/exact compound it used to have, if possible. Usually the white silicon compound.

A "refurbished product" is one that has been repaired from unusable status. They usually don't live up to the standards of "working quite right", in my experiences.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Hmmm, did you purchase the computer from them?...if so you prolly voided warranty once you opened up the case. Most cases have a seal claiming that once you break it you will void warranty. The original thermal compund was prolly just some frag type that heasink brought attached to the bottom of it.

Refurbished products WERE not working and were repaired to work once more...but don't count on them.
    - Damien

MUHAHA beat ya Flaco.

Speaking of Tiger Direct. Did you simply purchase that video card from them, or like Flaco mentioned, was it a complete system?
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

The computer was put together by me and I bought the card seperetly about 3 months before the new motherboard and case. All parts came from Tiger Direct and no problems except the GPU...

Ok then you might be able to take my previous recommendation and put it into effect.

Was the card White Box (OEM) or retail packaging?

[EDIT]
    Your 'warranty' may still be within the terms of its original contract. 1 Year, 2, or 3 if it was Retail. If it was OEM, then you may be screwed with a 30 day warranty.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    </font>
    // -->

Quick finger there...i went back edited a few things...now i have to go back...i noticed you explained whata refurbished product is.
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by FLaCo
    Quick finger there...i went back edited a few things...now i have to go back...i noticed you explained whata refurbished product is.
    Looking at that edit made me think.. pny usually uses white silicon grease CRAP on their heatsinks. Some use cruddy frag tape, but I've yet to actually get some on a GF3 or newer.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    </font>
    // -->

Retail, and one of the pins on the end got stretched in the process of taking off the heatsink. It's nothing big, but if you look VERY closely, you can kind of see it. That is what makes me nervous. Do you think I should send it to TD or PNY if I do send it?

It depends on TD's return/replacement policy. If PNY requires that all returns go through them, then PNY is your route. But, since you bought from TD, you may still be able to exchange.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    </font>
    // -->

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information