Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GEFORCE 4MX 64MBDDR can't be detected??

I think that you may just find that there is a voltage issue between the motherboard and the card. See if you can take the card back and explain the problem to them they just may change the card for you for something that will work. If they will then pay a few dollars extra and get a name brand card as this will help cut down on incompatibilities. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Hi Cloud Strife, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately this GF4 card doesn't have the pins you talk of or anything you can move.
    The BIOS update I flashed today was supposed to fix the GF4 MX440 DDR issue with my motherboard (Abit KT7A-RAID).

I would be interested to hear from other people who have motherboards incompatible with some graphics cards.
    It does sound like the most realistic reason.
    Like you say Wiggo, a voltage issue between the mobo and card, something that the BIOS flash should have fixed.
    Unfortunately I got the card from Singapore so is a little far to go back there to replace :rolleyes2 :laugh: That will teach me!!

I guess a mobo upgrade would sort this out. Seems weird though, the other PC (Gateway mass produced PC) is much older than mine. Have no idea what mobo is in that, can't be good in one of those mass produced PC's but the GF card works fine in that.

Does the grooves cut in the slotted teeth have any bearing on card to AGP socket compatibility? The Voodoo card has different slots cut into the contact teeth than the Geforce cards.

Yes the slots should make it impossible to fit an incorrect card into it. I'd say that the video card just isn't made to the exact tolerences required by the Abit board where as the Gateway board is only designed for ultra stability so their tolerances are probably set much wider to avoid this. :smokin:

Oh Cloud Strife that statement about that Gigabyte board is wrong and the problem was with a couple of hundred boards from a certain batch lot. My PC No.2 uses the ver1.1 and it has no probs with it's GF4 MX440 and neither did the other 2 I built with GF4 Ti4200's which is spose to be even worse if ya listen to rumours. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Oh Wiggo

... Hehehehh... Anyway...

That's what I heard when I was browsing around the internet for ways of tweaking my Gigabyte motherboard, I found a post somewhere that said that it 'DID NOT' work at all with the older revisions... Heh, I guess I'm gullable...

No harm done; thanks for spoting the mistake. :D

Also, does anyone know where I could find the latest NVidia bioses? (preferably GF4 440MX, and made by NVidia)

-Thanx-

barring the whole voltage/compatibility issue thing - the only other thing I can think of is to make absolutely sure that the card is fully inserted and seated into the AGP slot - I know you've said you've done that already.....I had an Geforce2MX card a couple of years ago that needed a little wiggleing to get it to make proper contact - sounds stupid I know......

Thanks for that RDR. Yes I've wriggled the thing so much I reckon I've worn the contacts off the card :laugh:
    I've tried wriggling it, pulling it out slightly and trying, pushing the card in hard into the AGP slot and booting but still no good.
    It must be what the other guys said about incompatibility with my mobo or something??:confused:

Would be great to hear from somebody who has had a guaranteed compatibility problem between graphics card and mobo of any brand.
    At least then we could strike out a few grey areas.

Thanks for all the ideas guys :thumb:

you could always consider toasting it on purpose so it won't work at all & then get it replaced by RMA through the mfg'r - I've done that before with a hard drive - just don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work out for you :D

Try clearing the cmos. This will drop all of the settings back to a safe default. If the card is ever going to work in this box, these ultra safe settings should do it. If it starts, you can then at least tinker with the settings.

Hi guys!
    Nice idea RDR:, won't blame you no! :laugh:
    As I bought this brand new off Ebay from a seller in Singapore (sounds like a dodgy deal hey !) it will be difficult to send back and argue that it's duff!
    Nice idea though if it was a UK purchase (where I live)

Thanks for that "bigjackusa" but I've already cleared the CMOS numerous times with the card in, wiggled a bit and then cleared CMOS and so on. To no avail unfortunately. :confused:

Keep the ideas coming though, one of them has gotta work!

Does anybody know of a BIOS update (other than on the ABIT website) that might address this problem?

Cheers

This is a long shot, but it may work, briefly it's over-writing the graphics card's bios with a NVidia GF4 440MX bios, it works with my MSI GF4 MX440 card, but there's no guaranteed it'll work on yours, not that it's working anyway, heh... (Keeping in-mind that you need a PCI VGA card)

All I need to know is the maker of the graphics card (or their 4-digit ID preferably), and their 4-digit number referance for the actual card, then I could make you a NVidia bios that'll flash without errors (ie... SubVendor and Sub Device ID errors) including the tools, and other files that are needed. :)

Ohh, and just to confirm with someone who has done this before, you can flash the AGP card with the PCI VGA being the primary?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information