Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Geforce 4 problem?

ok where to start... recently i got the game Doom 3 alpha and when i start the game i get the normal loading screen then suddnly my screen goes black and at the top of it i see some green lines. This has never happened to me before except in the game Total Midevil war if i want to start a game or load a game from the main meny i see the same black screen. I have not seen this in any other games and the card runs preatty good. My specs are P3 1Ghz, 512mb ram, Win98se, GF4 4400 from Visiontek, im using drivers 30.82 got them from the visiontek site. Id like any feedback on what type of problem this could be. forgot to mention that i have a 300W psu, and the card was upgraded from a TNT2 i removed the TNT2 best i could.

it's an Alpha release - there could be any number of incompatabilities causing your problems. That's why they don't release alpha's to the public.
    I think your best bet would be a fresh Windows install

The green lines... they are very short and go all the way across the top of the screen? System locks completely down when you get them?

If so, then it is a driver issue. I had the same problems with an older GeForce3 card nott all that long ago. Try some different drivers and find some that give you a good mixture of performance and no lockups like this. Also, it is a good idea to remove the previous driver before installing the new ones. A good utility to do this is called "Detonator Destroyer" and is available for free over at www.guru3d.com

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

thx for the link the lines are more like buch of small dots that go across the whole screen at the top about 1-2cm wide. My PC freezes over complety when this happens

BINGO!

It is a driver problem, or at least was in my case. Your symptoms sound identical to mine, so that would be a good place to start.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

ok well i updated the drivers to 40.72 every thing runs fine except thouse 2 games instead of the lines i get a total black screen... and PC freezes over, ill keep trying different drivers although i like thease 40.xx dets they do seem to make Gta3 run a bit better

Thread Information