Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GeForce FX Power Consumption

I hear that the FX is going to take a LOT of power and actually requires that you plug power into it straight from the power supply... am I going to need to upgrade my 430 watt power supply, or should that be enough to handle it? I've got a 16x dvd, 120gb hard drive, 18gb hard drive, 24x cd burner... audigy platinum livedrive, 250mb internal zip... 1.73ghz athlon xp....
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet your current PSU will be more than powerful enough.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem... But one of my friends who's also fairly computer-savvy seemed to think he might need to upgrade his power supply when he got the fx card and he has a setup almost exactly the same as mine but with a 550w... though, he does have a Dual MP setup rather than single xp... and those processors take lots of power, so maybe that was his concern.
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

The extra power outlet on the GeForce FX is mist likely just going to be for its cooling system and that won't draw a great deal of power.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Speaking of which--any word onto when an actual release date for the card might be? It seems to keep changing... And every source I look at says something different.

My guess is 2 months before we start seeing them in great supply, 1 month till they start coming on shelves and selling out the day they get their stock... :)
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by enhancedstudios
    Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem... But one of my friends who's also fairly computer-savvy seemed to think he might need to upgrade his power supply when he got the fx card and he has a setup almost exactly the same as mine but with a 550w... though, he does have a Dual MP setup rather than single xp... and those processors take lots of power, so maybe that was his concern.
    all the MP athlon boards I've used specify a minimum of 400W...so you probably have just as much of a safety factor as he does

R9700's have the same power requirements and I've only heard of some ppl w/ 350w and less PSU's havin' probs w/ them. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thread Information