Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GeForce FX Q&A with nVidia

Beefy Guest

I also think that people should hold off until we see some public release products and what nVidia has done by then...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by negomike
    Now I really don't know which video card to get.....

Add in the price difference of 0 vs. 0
    Or just go for a GF4 4200?!?!
    Or a 9500 and try and make it a 9700?!?!
    The 9500! Use Unwinder's soft9700 and it's an easy reversible mod attempt. I've been hearing an awful lot of success stories with it, and almost no nightmares. The price difference would then be looking a whole bunch more like 0 vs 0....which changes the argument considerably, IMHO.

I think it's the way for the budget minded gamer to go without a doubt, it's the way I think I'm going now.

[B]If ATI can deliver on drivers...

Man, I do NOT want to become known as an ATI fanboy again; but their driver department has REALLY picked up in the last 6 months or so and the latest set of Cat3a, (or rev2, or whatever), are truly sweet and rock solid for me with no additional tweakage needed after the install....a big time first for ATI with me. They've also been very active in the viddy community coming on boards lately and posting help/input/suggestions, which also scores some major points with me. (nVidia won't even return my e-mail. :( )

ATI has improved, I hope the recently disclosed financial scandal doesn't kill it.
    Bubbles Phenom II 955, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, 2GB PC2 8500, Powercolor Radeon HD 4890 OC, Audigy2 ZS, ADA885, Corsair 620hx, 250GB, 200GB, CD/DVD burner
    Blue Phenom X4 @ 2.8Ghz, Asus M3A78-T, 2GB PC2 8500, Palit 1Gb 8800 GTS, ATi 650 Theatre Pro, DVD, 500GB, 200GB
    Bertha Inspiron 1705 UXGA, C2D T5200 (1.6Ghz), 2Gb DDR2 @ 533, 256Mb ATi Mobility X1400, 120Gb 5400, CD/DVD burner
    Darkstar 4600x2 A64, Asus A8A32-MVP, 2x1Gb Patriot PC3200, 512MB Radeon 4870, DVD, 80GB, 160GB
    Fluffy Athlon 2000+, DFI LanParty NFII Ultra B, 1Gb, ATi 9600 Pro, 250GB, QuickCam

Elite Bastrads

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    I also think that people should hold off until we see some public release products and what nVidia has done by then...

uhhhh, O.K.

even if NVIDIA tweaked a PHENOMENAL extra 20% out of their cards, they are still not worth buying over a 9700Pro which is WAAYY cheaper.

Then we have the issues of the GFFX's heat output:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDIx

....what a letdown this has been.

hmm I think i'd rather have a card that's been out for awhile and has good drivers than to get a card that costs a 100 bucks more and hasn't really tested out and made new drivers for it yet.

I think I'll go with the ATI Radeon 9700 pro after the new line of video cards is out from ATI...talk about discount heaven
    ---------------------------

~~Money is for nothing, chicks for free~~

I might just get the Radeon 9700 Pro when the Geforce FX comes out (if it drops to a lower price of course later this spring)
    "We're not tool's of the government or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing...the only thing I was good at. But atleast...I always fought for what I believed in."

if ATI choose to lower the price of their Radeon 9700 Pro, nVidia are in some real trouble.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I would go with Nvidea Till the end... History, expirence. Kinda relates to IE vs Netscape, or US vs Terrorist.. Just kidding.. NVidea like Intel and AMD, might have just releasted enough to keep the dough rolling in, but is keeping competion at bay for kicks. Just something to think about.. when you play cards you don't always lay down your best cars first!
    -=DuST=- Wembls

----SOF2
    server-Quake****...
    get some!

If you really want to know the truth about the new FX, just read the review at www.anandtech.com.

It shows that the FX can barely beat the 9700 Pro. And it only beats it in average framerate. The minimum framerate is consistantly held higher by the 9700 Pro. Where as the FX goes through dramatic highs and lows in framerate.

Along with the fact that the FX is extremely lould, runs very hot, is not easily overclocked, takes up 2 slots in your computer, delivers lower video quality, and cost alot to make, I can't understand why anyone would want to have this card. Especially when the R350 is so close to being released itself.

With both the FX and R350 boards hitting the market at about the same time, and probably costing the same price, it would seem that the R350 is the better choice.

Also earlier in this thread some one made the comment that ATI is second rate because ATI had problems running their cards in 8XAGP? I've run 3 different 9700 Pro cards in a variety of systems. The only one that had any problem with 8XAGP was the VIA KT400 chipset board. After changing over to a nVidia nForce2 board all stability problems in 8XAGP were cleared up. So the problem was never ATI, but the supporting technologies around it.

Your a fool to say that ATI is second rate. Don't blindly follow the nVidia bandwagon simply cause they have marketing power and everyone else is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ristogod
    If you really want to know the truth about the new FX...
    Your a fool to say that ATI is second rate.
    Gee I didn't know they were already casting for Doctor Doom.
    :p

Quote Originally Posted by ristogod
    Your a fool to say that ATI is second rate. Don't blindly follow the nVidia bandwagon simply cause they have marketing power and everyone else is doing it.
    ATI should hire you in their marketing dept - such passion.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information