Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Which Video card will you buy

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FX vs. 9700

Thx bud !
    Guess what I voted ?:laugh:
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    I imagine 3rd party companies are already aware of this and busy perfecting their own, quieter, cooling systems - at least I hope.

I'll try and contact some of these companies and see what they have to say.
    I think the retail version will be slightly less noisy, but just as Tom's Hardware says, it's hard to imagine it being much less noisy because the card puts out such heat that any cooling solution would involve a high RPM fan.

The noise is also more noticeable because the exhaust for the card comes out the back of the PC, so even a closed case system would be noisy.

What's worse is it has passive cooling on the back of the card, which means it'll be pumping out heat inside the case, so those with highly overclocked FSBs will notice additional - and perhaps too much - heat on other components especially the CPU.

Just talking to some folks "in the know" over ICQ, rumor has it nVidia were going to release the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra at 400 / 800, but then ATI came in with their R300 and put the presure back on nVidia to clock both core and memory higher so it actually remained competitive against ATI.

So this might explain the reason for delays, and of course the noisy beast.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

A marketing rep from Gainward answered some of my questions over ICQ regarding the GeForce FX cooling system... (unedited)

Mr. Tweak: Do Gainward intend on using the reference (LOUD!) cooling system or produce your own quieter version?

Gainward: about that fan... seems like it is nVidea NV30's one of the fallback here

Gainward: everyone doesn't like to noise it makes

Mr. Tweak: so will Gainward produce their own, a modifed one which works better and quieter?

Gainward: I am not sure about the first launch product

Gainward: it is all come from nVidia's standard design

Gainward: so I believe as long as the VGA manufactures use nVidia's standard design card, will have the same problem for its first launch.

Mr. Tweak: I understand

Gainward: after that, we may have time to make some adjustment

Gainward: but, so far....everyone is the same....

Next on the hit list is Thermaltake to see what they have planned for the GeForce FX!
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Thanks for that info...doesn't look good :(

Looks like we'll all need headphones for gaming, just like nvidia suggested before...

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Thanks for that info...doesn't look good :(

Looks like we'll all need headphones for gaming, just like nvidia suggested before...
    Maybe, bye-bye surround sound gaming :wave: :no:
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Damm That sucks I was hoping that it would be released with a better cooling system.
    looks like my vote has changed.
    I hate noise
    AMD Athlon 2400+ @ 2.26Ghz @1.9Core Cooled With Thermalright AX-7 | EPoX 8K5A2+ | 768Mb PC-2700DDR Corsair XMS | Leadtek GForce4 Ti4400 | Hercules Fortissimo II | 80Gb Seagate HDD | Liteon 12x DVD | Aopen 40x12x48 | Samsung SyncMaster 957p 1600X1200@75Hz | Modded Aopen HX-08 with 300W Aopen PSU | Windows XP Pro SP1

ICQ :159735580 | MSN : nutty_33@hotmail.com | Email : nutty_33@iinet.com.au

In nVidia's defence, we all have to remember CG and how the GeForce FX is optimised for it.

Programmers haven't had a chance to release any CG enhanced games yet - remember Dawn? This was produced using CG.

So when CG shows its face a little more, the GeForce FX may prove a little better.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Yep ATI have had months of driver development.
    Im not giving up yet :)
    AMD Athlon 2400+ @ 2.26Ghz @1.9Core Cooled With Thermalright AX-7 | EPoX 8K5A2+ | 768Mb PC-2700DDR Corsair XMS | Leadtek GForce4 Ti4400 | Hercules Fortissimo II | 80Gb Seagate HDD | Liteon 12x DVD | Aopen 40x12x48 | Samsung SyncMaster 957p 1600X1200@75Hz | Modded Aopen HX-08 with 300W Aopen PSU | Windows XP Pro SP1

ICQ :159735580 | MSN : nutty_33@hotmail.com | Email : nutty_33@iinet.com.au

Beefy Guest

When I first heard about the FX, I was thinking that it was going to blow the 9700 Pro out of the water, like the 9700 did to the GF4 before that... However, now that there are some pre-release benchmarks, I'm not so enthused anymore. Sure, it'll still be a great card, be the top performer, but not by much.

I'll probably change my opinion once the card is publicly released, and DirectX 9 support actually means something, but until then I'm looking forward to getting an AIW Radeon 9700 Pro... if / when that happens.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information