Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Which Video card will you buy

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: FX vs. 9700

Hi, iam a little sick of this ridiculous ATI's fans dissing and making fun of good old Nvidia over a reference card.

I may not be a comp scientist or anything like that, i do however have commun sence, this drivers which were use on the reviews were still on its veta stage ,which means they are not fully optimized yet, contrary to ATI which has had months to polish theirs.

I'd only like to see how well the NvidiaFX performs against ATI 9700 pro on 3Dmark 2003, so both DX 9 cards fetures could be stressed to the max, only them i'd come to a conclusion but definably not over older games which FX by the way has came out as the winner in most of the cases.

The noicy fans is not even an issue, iam sure that Nvidia or its parners will come out with a better less noicy solution.

To be honest i don't want ATI nor Nvidia to go away, i love competition, but everyone seems to be forgetting about ATI's legal problems, if anything happends to ATI, Nvidia might just end up making drivers for Radeon users as well. :)
    I can't be your Batman.

I had started to build my system with the GeForce 4 Ti4600, and then switched to a Radeon 9700 Pro when I found the price difference to be $35. Since then, I've been curious as to the performance of the GeForceFX. After seeing how the benchmarks compare, and hearing the noise, I think I'll sleep easier at night. I'm sure Nvidia will correct all issues in the future, but I don't feel like waiting... :devil:
    Owner of the computer "Alatar the Blue"

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    2 GB Kingston PC 3200 CL2 RAM
    ATI x800 XT
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    120 GB Western Digital SE SATA HD
    Windows XP Home SP2

Im with Wilmot. When we went to AGDC last month and saw DAWN with our own eyes it really does show you what the FX is capable of. Lets forget about 400 Frames per second in Q3 for a bit and think about how realistic Doom 3 will look at 40FPS :)

Beefy Guest

I ask, when are we going to see Dawn-like effects in practical use though? Not in the next 6 months I doubt.

Actually I have been avoiding ATI due to my worries of their drivers.

However, even if they got another 20% out of that card I just don't think I could handle the noise. I have to work on this thing all the time. And yes nVidia deserves making fun of because its solution isn't practical for most people. I am sure that they will fix it in months to come and that the drivers will become rock solid, but right now put that whole package together and it isn't very appealing.

The final bit of info is that it is possible to mod the $160 dollar 9500 into a $300 9700 and then further mod it into an $800 FireGL.

http://www.gzplanet.com/search.php?keyword=radeon

The draw back of course is that one could end up with a $160 bookmark. :eek:

Right now the 9700 seems more practical, the FX seems like it still has some muscle left to flex. And maybe by release time someone will be able to quite the cooler. But I doubt it, there just isn't enough time, to design a new cooler, fabricate it, build the cards, and ship them through shipping channels to arrive at during either early February, Mid February, or sometime in March. And as others have noted supposedly the R350 might launch around then too.

Yes the FX rocks. But not enough to justify neither the noise, nor the hype put into it. nVidia did blatantly mislead customers to try and keep them away from ATI. That kinda pisses me off.

And no I am not a fan of either ATI or nVidia, I am a fan of best-bang-for-the-buck crop. :D

Well enough of my pontificating.
    Of to play some UT on my 8 meg Radeon mobility chip.

P.S. Mr. Tweak, don't you think we need at least an "other" choice in the poll?

P.S.S As usually once I start talking it's hard for me to shut up. But, about the whole ATI insider-trading thing, who cares? This will not affect the company in any major way, except for maybe damaging the stock prices for a bit. Some big wigs get arrested, they are replaceable. Remember, big wigs plan for 3 to 4 years in the future and have little to do with the day-to-day stuff. That’s for the vice-big wig to take care of.

Nor does this involve ATI corp.

personally i say get the saphire 9500 and soft mod to 9700 pro worked for me :D $150 into a $300+ card :-D by the way make sure if you do get one make sure you software mod with rivatuner soft9700 instead of actually removing the resistor.

But as for the benchmark i was suprised that there wasn't that much of difference between the 9700 and geforce fx (though nvidia had reference model and beta drivers) kinda reminded me of the 8500 (beta drivers when it came out ) losing to the geforce 3 ti500 too. As far as driver support they're pretty much the same now a days, nvidia has some faulty drivers and ati has some faulty drivers too just that ati has a bad rep for it thats all.

oh in case your wondering i use to own a geforce ti 500 just in case ya thought i was an ati fan, cuz im in the best bang for my bucks group like negomike

I agree with Beefy and Mr Tweak on this. I want to see cards that can help developers make the most out of there games visually. FPS isn't the be all and end all of gaming.

I don't think its a particularly fair comparison using benchmarks all the time when the software is not optimised to take advantage of the latest hardware and the programmers are only just realising the potential of what they have in front of them.

As for comments of Nvidia putting consumers of ATi, I think thats not particularly accurate. ATi put me of ATi. Does anyone remeber the Rage 128 chips. They were terrible.

What I would like to see is Matrox get on the band wagon, the Parhelia was a good card but I would like to see a pure gamers card from them. It could help to cause a price war.

Its all swings and roundabouts ain't it?

Originally posted by mondogenerator ]
    I agree with Beefy and Mr Tweak on this. I want to see cards that can help developers make the most out of there games visually. FPS isn't the be all and end all of gaming.

I don't think its a particularly fair comparison using benchmarks all the time when the software is not optimised to take advantage of the latest hardware and the programmers are only just realising the potential of what they have in front of them.

I'm not sure if FPS still doesn't hold some merit. Such as comparing not only FSP but FPS when all the "eye candy" is turned on, and the quality of the picture.

Unfortunately FPS of current games and such are all we have to go on. They are far from perfect, but they’re one of the few tools we have to get an idea of how much "head room" there is in a product.

I would like to find someplace that performs more benchmarks with professional 3D packages. Maya PLE is free for download and I think Lightwave also has a demo for download. I'm surprised they haven't become a standard benchmark.

As for comments of Nvidia putting consumers of ATi, I think thats not particularly accurate. ATi put me of ATi. Does anyone remeber the Rage 128 chips. They were terrible.

Sorry, could you rephrase that I'm afraid I think I'm missing your meaning.

What I would like to see is Matrox get on the band wagon, the Parhelia was a good card but I would like to see a pure gamers card from them. It could help to cause a price war.

YES PLEASE! I'd love to see Matrox get into it. I had high hopes for the Parhelia cause of all the hype. And none of it was Matrox's fault. Matrox seems like a nicer company to deal with than either ATI or nVidia. I wonder if a strategic alliance between Matrox and ATI would be a wonderful thing.

However, I don't hold my breath as far as Matrox re-entering the 3D performance arena. For now it seems that, like with CPU's, doesn't give much of a boost at first, I think it will be a year or more before Matrox can really have a hope of putting out something to compete on the level of 9700, FX, R350, R400, N35, N40, etc...

Finally, if I were considering the 9700 Pro for $300 and the FX for $400 I would perhaps still hesitate. For one, I believe it was in Anand's review, the FX had a 45% lead in Max. With that outlier compared to the rest of the data, there is still a question.

Hmm, I think it's pretty obvious that I have no clue as to where I stand, but the software mod 9500 to 9700 for $160 is by far the best deal in the near future. :D

Does the 9500 get to = to a 9700 Pro? I thougt it "only" = 9700 non pro?

And the option of doing the physical mod.

Hmmm I wonder if nVidia will put out a dual FX board... oh &%#*@ started a new rumor.:devil win

2 vacuum cleaners for the price of 3!!!!

Cost is prohibitive as is FX chip availability.
    I wonder if someone could photoshop a duel FX.

Sorry, should have been clearer on the Ati putting me off Ati.

Previous post and news articles seem to suggest the Nvidia bad mouths ATI.

This may be partly true but I actually have had problems previously with ATi. Primarlity the Rage Chips. There crap and and the driver support was useless.

For that, it gave them a bad rep and i'm still quite dubious about ATi.

I do see all the positive reactions to the 9700 as its a good card but In my eyes there still the underdog whos got lucky. Only time will tell.

hope that clears up what I didn't get across earlier but i'm at work so...

The part about ATi having poor drivers is really moot. ATi has had some great drivers for over a year at least now. People that keep bring it up that ATi's drivers are in the pits need to put their money where there mouth is or shut up. That's what I did with an 8500LE. Still one helluva card these days (not the fastest obviously). I used to be very much against ATi, back when their drivers truly did suck, but that's been a few years ago. They've cleaned up their act. IMO, nVidia's partners had better have a good cooling solution that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner or they can expect some market share loss. I sure won't even consider a GFFX if all of them have a noise machine attached to them. I do expect to see the driver improve performance, but I'm more concerned about the cooling and the sound levels than I am the performance at this point.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information