Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9700Pro possible device failure !

Please please help. I suspect a faulty card, but someone may know otherwise, or at least how I find out.

I have just built a new system;
    P4 3.06, 200GB ATA133 HD, 512 RAM, Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro Maya 2, Gigabyte GA-8INXP E7205 Granite Bay MBoard.

Every now and again, sometimes twice in 30 minutes, sometimes no crashes in hours, the PC temporarily locks, beep (single beep), the display then goes all large, so I only see a quarter of Windows all zoomed in and Windows XP Pro reports;

'MS Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please save and reboot to restore full functionality.'

The PC is still working, if writing a CD this finishes okay, and a reboot sorts it out.

My friend has an identical error, he has a different motherboard, the only common parts are Corsair XMS RAM, E7205 Granite Bay Motherboard (his is Asus), Radeon 9700 Pro (his is another brand).

This happens under Catalyst 3 and 2.4 drivers.

Please help anyone !!! Is this the Radeon and/or how do I determine which device is failing.

Also, I get speckles appear in graphics under both Catalyst versions. hmmmmmm ?

Thanks !

My first thought would be the "Is the power supply enough to cope?". ;)

If that's ok I'd be havin' a chat with Gigabyte as both come from them. :)

Also go to the Event Viewer (under Admin Tools in the Control Panel) and see what is being logged there for these "events" (errors and faults are logged by time) as that can be of real use. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Wiggo

Many thanks.

The PSU is an Enermax 550W, so no problem there, but the Event Log showed some system hangs and a lot of reference to ATI, so definitely a card problem me thinks.

Thanks again, I will post again when I find the definitive solution.

Hi

I have _exactly_ the same problem, except my system hangs about 30 seconds after I try to use 3dmark or UT03.

I have an Asus P4G8X deluxe, 2GB of 2100 DDR memory, P4 3.06, and a Radeon 9700 Pro. I used to have an Asus Ahtlon system, and the Radeon worked fine, so I know it's not the card. I have an Enermax 550W PSU.

With my new system, it just crashes after I use anything 3d.

Had anyone found a way around this?

thanks
    lex

Darlex

I have found out what it is. Go to Control Panels, Admin Tools, Event Viewer, then click on system, scroll until you find a red cross, and double click the event.

You will (or should) find that when it crashed it should refer to an ATI2MTAG driver, or something along those lines.

If this is the case, PLEASE report it to ATI and your card manufacturer, the more complaints the quicker the fix will be.

GOOD LUCK !

try disabling fast writes and/or reducing the AGP speeds to 4X

this has helped in some cases with compatibility issues between the R9700pro and SiS 8xAGP chipsets - It may help with Intel 8xAGP chipsets as well - at least it's worth a try

It may help until the issus is resolved by ATi/Intel

hmm i hope everythings solves to the best for you guys.
    This things kinda scares me a bit. :(

Hi

There are no crosses under System in the Event viewer, but there are plenty of ATI Smart info thingies in Application under event viewer.

Incidentally, I've tried reducing AGP to 4X in the BIOS and disabling fastwrites to no avail.

Any further thoughts besides getting a new card? I hope the R350 comes out soon...

lex

No new ideas from me, apart from;

1. Email ATI and your card manufacturer.
    2. Mine works fine in my shuttle case, so it is a driver/granite bay issue I think. So maybe try another brand of card.

But, what do I know, hopefully someone else will come up with a quick fix. :laugh: :cry:

try asking the question here:

www.Rage3D.com/board/

lots more people with R9700's - maybe someone has found a solution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information