Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do I need a cooling ujpgrade 4 my 9700Pro?

looks pretty good & 400MHz is a nice OC:thumb:

he's only got the HS attached w/epoxy though - I don't like that idea....I want to drill & tap a couple of holes in the back of the HS & use cap screws w/springs throught the existing holes in the 9700 PCB

I'm hoping to get an AthlonXP retail HS installed on mine this weekend...I don't have much free time through the week...it's my 5y/o daughter's birthday this Saturday though so I don't know If i'll get to it or not.

depending on what kind of results I get - I may decide to try a more "high performance" cooler later

Yeah, I feel thermal adhesive is a last resort measure, also. OOoo, yeah, the kid factor does absorb a lot of time normally allocated for fun projects... Truth be known, I"d rather have a family than being so galactically single. *sigh* ok, back to the topic, I grabbed these two coolers from work and am getting ready to hack at them to make something for my GPU. They are big, but I have tools of mass destruction for that.
    :devil:
    - -+ r e v e n a n t +- -
    my rig: Shyznat
    * AMD XP 2600+ @2277 on an MSI K7N2-L * 2x 256meg Corsair PC3200 XMS Platinum in Dual Channel mode @ 3,2,1,2.0 * ATI Radeon 9700 Pro * 4x IBM 180GXP 60gig RAID 0+1 on a Promise Fastrack100 * 1x Western Digital WD800JB 80gig with 8mb buffer on mainboard IDE *Soundblaster Live! * Samsung SW-248B CDRW with 8mb buffer * Sony DDU1621 DVDR * Enermax EG465P-VE 431watt PSU * 23.1" Sceptre X23s-Naga LCD * Chieftech windowed case with glowing ide cables * pic1 * pic2 * pic3 * pic4 * pic5 * 9700 * 3Dmark03 5432 * 3Dmark2001SE 17K club member * the sweet spot *

Okay Revenant - I stayed up late last night & worked on my project a little.
    I added the AthlonXP heatsink to my R9700...I replaced the factory fan w/a thermaltake 60mm 31cfm fan I had laying around, it was a little noisey - so I added a thermaltake 3 speed fan controller too
    the step in the HS base just nicely clears a resistor located a little too close to the core
    ...yes it does take up 3 PCI slots...but with onboard LAN and Sound - my PCI slots are pretty empty anyway

you can see in this shot - it's apretty tight fit between the HS and a few of the capacitors - a 60x60 HS is probably the max. I can use w/o having to hack of the corners for clearance.

No thermal epoxy here....I drilled and taped two holes in the back of the HS & used #4-40 cap screws w/ nylon washers & springs for even pressure on both sides of the HS, and of course a thin layer of Arctic Silver3 on the GPU lug :thumb:

So far I've had it up to 378MHz...up from 364 w/ the stock cooler & 340 when the shim was in place...I might be able to squeeze out a bit more...I haven't increased the AGP voltage yet - but I think mine just isn't a great OC'er.....maybe a core voltage mod & a copper cooler is the next step:D
    Still it got me over 5100 in 3DMark03...& I didn't have my CPU and RAm maxed out for the test either

Sweeeeeet... :D :D :D

Very professional looking job, also. A gain of ~15mhz is pretty darn good. I am thinking mine should hit 400mhz with a "home made baddie" on the GPU. My ram is the 3.3ns infineon, so it's just not going to go any higher than 633 without getting artifacts. Oh well. Also, I don't think I'll be able to fit the two heat sinks in my photo on my card because of the capacitor clearance issue. I do have an old K6 cooler, which should fit the bill nicely. I'll still be eating 3 PCI slots, but I only really need my raid card and the Live! I am thinking about trying the nForce audio, but PCDJ (www.visiosonic.com) plays well with the Live! so I wanna keep using that until there is some native support for the nForce sound on it. Well, time to hit the beach for a BBQ. Awesome job RDR! *applause*
    :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
    - -+ r e v e n a n t +- -
    my rig: Shyznat
    * AMD XP 2600+ @2277 on an MSI K7N2-L * 2x 256meg Corsair PC3200 XMS Platinum in Dual Channel mode @ 3,2,1,2.0 * ATI Radeon 9700 Pro * 4x IBM 180GXP 60gig RAID 0+1 on a Promise Fastrack100 * 1x Western Digital WD800JB 80gig with 8mb buffer on mainboard IDE *Soundblaster Live! * Samsung SW-248B CDRW with 8mb buffer * Sony DDU1621 DVDR * Enermax EG465P-VE 431watt PSU * 23.1" Sceptre X23s-Naga LCD * Chieftech windowed case with glowing ide cables * pic1 * pic2 * pic3 * pic4 * pic5 * 9700 * 3Dmark03 5432 * 3Dmark2001SE 17K club member * the sweet spot *

Very good job there RDR:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information