Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PCI card better than 845GL integrated AGP video?

My wife is an architect, and she uses various graphics-intensive Adobe applications to work at home. These files are massive and they bog down our system a bit. When we bought the PC (1.8GHz P4 with a 845GL chipset), I didn't realize the difference between the G & GL versions with respect to the lack of an AGP slot in the GL. Doh!

ANYWAY, installing 512MB RAM helps a great deal. But now I'm wondering if adding a 64MB PCI card (like the PowerColor Radeon 9000 PCI) is going to help, or actually hurt? I'd heard that, even though the integrated video isn't so great, it at least uses an integrated AGP bus - so that putting a poor PCI card would do more harm than good. With 512MB RAM, the integrated video uses 64MB shared RAM, so I assume I'd want a 64MB card minimum. How about 128MB (GeForce MX400, etc.)??

Whaddayathink? Sorry for the novel...

Thanks,

Dave
    Dell 2350 1.8GHz-P4 512MB blah blah

Anything and I mean ANYTHING (under a reasonable card that is don't be putting a 1/2MB PCI card in there lol)

Atleast from my experience anything ANYTHING is better then integrated video. I remember those duron 900 machines that I built for my school.....on board video and it couldn't play quake 3 for SH*T! damn on board video........

Or how about my aunts crappy athlonxp 1600 machien that my dad built for her. Its slower then ever becuase of the onboard video.

Pretty much any recent video card with comparable amounts of video ram are better than onboard video cards. While the onboard card is using the agp bus you will still be better off with an add on card with better features, higher clock speed and more ram.

I recomend that you wait a month or two and buy on the the lower class GeForce FX cards, such as the 5200 or 5600 because they have full Direct X 9 support. They will retail for about $80 and up.

If you want a top of the line video card i recomend waiting for the ATI Radeon 9800. I woulnt go for ati an 8500 though because it lakes direct x 9 support.

A pci vid card isn't going to help much, if at all. 2D graphics depend far more on the cpu and ram than the vid card. A good rule of thumb is: take the size of the largest graphics file you're likely to work on, triple that and have that much ram in the machine. The idea is that the things you want to keep in ram (without disk swapping) are: the os, the app (with extentions, plugins, etc. that load), a copy of the original file, and enough ram left over for a 2nd copy of the file that is produced when changes are made.

Good info - thanks! I agree that a lot of these 3D cards are overkill for a 2D application. But it also sounds like anything will be better than the integrated video, so I'll watch prices and snag one with 128MB. My main concern was that the PCI bus was going to be the problema. I'll let everyone know the results on 2D uses...

Dave
    Dell 2350 1.8GHz-P4 512MB blah blah

I have the exact same pc as you
    Get the gf 4 mx 440 pci 128
    Im a huge gamer and this card does everything I need it to do for about $100 @ walmart
    Went from 80fps in ut with on board to 303fps with gf4

Thread Information