Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphic's card Ram

thomson1968 Guest

Could someone please advise ::::: -

Can you or not uprade the ram on your graphics card, I,E :-
    I have a geforce 3 ti500 card, it has standard 64mb ram, can i change the ram for say 128mb ? If possible, where would I get or look for ram upgardes for graphics cards ?
    Or is it only possible to overclock the original fitted ram to achieve more speed ????
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Beefy Guest

RAM chips aren't really made to be removed / changed on video cards, so an 'upgrade' isn't possible. The best you can do with the card is overclocking.

That would be sweet though... AGP 8x cards w/ DIMM slots :cool: Slap 2 512's of DDR PC3200 and your set
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

That would actually be a good idea, upgradable vid cards...but it would ruin the GFX card industry, instead of buying a new FX 5800 ULTRA you could buy a FX 5200 ULTRA and upgrade the ram, saving like $150-300 a card...
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Beefy Guest

Errr, no. Extra RAM on same video cards doesn't actually achieve a hell of a lot. If it did, don't you think they would have more RAM on the cards to start with? It's like a 64MB GF3 vs a 128MB GF3. At the same clock speed, there's no obvious difference in performance.

really...then why wait for 256mb or ram instead of 128?
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Beefy Guest

Who said anything about waiting for that?

Unless, of course, the card itself is different. If a card has the ability to efficiently use 256MB of video memory, then go for it.

If you don't believe me, check out all the old comparisons of when the GF3s came out with different amounts of RAM. There's no reason why you would go with the one with more RAM.

if there were a performance advantage by having an extra 64 meg they would make the card with 128 as a high end model to beging with....although a card with dimm slots dows sound good:), put a couple OZ 3700's or 4200's in there and ur good to go:)

They used to make vid cards with ram sockets so you could add ram. I don't think they sold a lot of extra ram for them then. Adding sockets adds cost which is hard to justify for most manufacturers. Nowadays, with product cycles being so short, most people would rather put their money into a new card with a faster gpu and expanded feature set than upgrade the old one. The manufacturers would rather you bought a new one too. You don't see the equivilent of "longest lasting pickup truck on the road" ads for vid cards. As an aside, Creative once produced a soundcard with simm sockets for storimg MIDI samples.

I'm still waiting for a PCI card that is nothing more than a RAM controller, and comes with software so that you can set it up as a RAM drive. I know extremely high traffic web servers have this, but I want one just to mess with...

And what's sweet about the idea is that it can be done with slow old ram, (cheap) and basically any ram you can get will be a ridiculously fast ram drive.

I personally wouldn't even care if I lost all the data when I shut the computer off. Just imagine, dropping some giant file into your ram drive, and then giving it to 12 people at once over a fibre network.... Sending to everyone at as fast as they can write, or more likely as fast as the fibre can handle.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information