Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9700 pro overheating with pc1066

After i switched from 512mb of pc800 rdram to 512mb of pc1066 rdram, every game i played crashed, usualy before gameplay. I added a 120mm adjustable fan to the side of my case (blowing on my ati 9700 pro). After that games would last 5 - 10 min. before freezing, crashing to the desktop, or restarting the computer. Will getting a new heat sink for my card stop the crashing? Can a new heatsink be added to an ati 9700 pro? And were could i find a good one? Thanks for any help.

Try sticking some RAM Sinks on the front and back of the card, making sure it completely covers the RAM.

but how can a ram upgrade effect the heating of the graphics card?..
    i simply can't think of any relation between the two...
    maybe its ur system rams that have the problem, as i undertand, u say that using rd800 rams these problems did not occur.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

Beefy Guest

Can you actually feel large amounts of heat coming off anything when your system crashes? There's a chance it may not have anything to do with heat... A small chance, but still a chance...

Sounds more like ya mobo is havin' probs with those PC1066 RIMMs. Have ya put the PC800 ones back in to see if the prob is still there?

what mobo do u have? cuz the problem is almost certainly between the mobo and the ram

The system dosent crash with the pc800 ram, nor does it crash with only 256mb of the pc1066 installed. Also If i open the case and use a osilating fan to blow air in, it will not crash. Thats why i thought it was a heat problem. When it crashes there is some heat coming from the card, above the heatsink. The motherboard is an Intel D850EMV2 wich dosent tecnicaly support pc1066, but ive never heard of any problems useing it. I really hope thats not the problem becasue the pc1066 is awsome, for about 10 min.

Could the ram be overheating?

Beefy Guest

does it feel hot? Just put your hand right next to it when your system crashes. if you can feel the radiant heat, then it's warm.

The card does feel warm when it crashes. The card is the only place that i can feel any heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information