Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webhosting help

Default Re: Webhosting help

wtf? can you twist what I said just a little bit more please?

I am not suggesting anyone buy a broadband connection for the sole reason of hosting their own site. If you already have the connection, you might as well try to get your money's worth. Besides, if you're paying $40-50 for a home connection, you're getting screwed anyway.

Where did I say anything about paying for a computer? I said "spare parts". Most enthusiasts have enough parts laying around to build a mid to low-end box. It doesn't take much power to run a decent web server. If you don't have all the parts you need, you damn well know how to get them dirt cheap. $300 (or as you put it, "300 per month") is bull ****.

Now, the only part of my solution that cost any additional money was the domain name, which cost less than $10 per year.

How does $10 per year compare to your 60-90+ per year?
    #

No kidding... Once I buy the domain, I'll have a web site using almost the exact method you described (though I'll likely use dyndns as my router has a built-in function for it). That'll cost me all of $5 and the 450MHz Pentium 3 with 12GB HDD and 368MB of RAM sitting next to my main machine. Even if I had to pay for the machine, it would cost less than hosting.

That said, I won't be able to host anything besides HTML and maybe a few pictures, due to the poor upload speed of comcast cable.

Well, you said that most people have enough parts laying around to build a spare system.

Logically, I think that arguement is highly flawed. If people have spare parts laying around, it's because they upgrade parts and/or build systems from scratch. Those that build systems from scratch usually don't simply leave enough spare parts around to build a full system, especially if they have need for another system.

Building a cheap system will run $300, or more. Using a full seperate computer for web-hosting also means using a router or switch, and exposing your home network more so to hacker threats.

It also means using up bandwidth.

$93 gets you 150 gigs of bandwidth a month. Most ISPs will kick you off their service or try to force you to pay for a level of business/professional hosting if you're using 150 gigs of bandwidth in a month.

That's 58k per second, for every second of the month.

$5 a month for a professional web host. 58k of your bandwidth, and a dedicated PC, and electricty from running a new PC in your house 24/7. That's EASILY over $5 a month.

You'd be hard pressed to really argue that it's financially better to host a web server yourself rather than pay for a nice web host.

Let's say a decent page hit is 20k, or even 40k. That's, 3,750,000 hits in a month of bandwidth for $5.

Tell me that's not a deal.

a few folks i know have had good luck with 1&1 http://1and1.com

They are certainly an affordable host given their price list. I don't know what speeds, or customer service they offer.

But their webpage suggests they offer a pretty darn good offer.

Still, they charge $19.99 a month for 100 gigs of bandwidth.

Powweb.com is charging $4.90 a month (with given promotion) for 150 gigs of bandwidth.

Their base price at powweb.com is $7.77 a month for 150 gigs of bandwidth.

I can personally vouch for their speed, service and features. I have two accounts with them.

I've used a few hosts, and Powweb is the best I've ever seen. If anyone can point out a better host, I'll gladly switch to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderandrew
    Well, you said that most people have enough parts laying around to build a spare system.
    There you go, twisting it again... Not all people are enthusiasts (and not all enthusiasts are people ). In my experience, most enthusiasts do have enough lying around to put together a cheap machine (assuming they don't have a spare) or at least enough that they're short $10-$50 worth of stuff to get one running. Regardless of that, it doesn't take $300 to build a suitable web server, unless you're going to continously have dozens of simultaneous hits. I could throw together a Sempron 1500 system for under $200, using new parts. Under $150 using parts thats virtually all enthusiasts have and many non-enthusiast have. Under $100 using spare parts I have lying around. Something with used parts (not spare ones, purchased from friends/retailers/eBay/etc.) that would be more suitable for a web server, say anything from a K6-2 to a low-end socket A Duron or maybe a Pentium 3, could cost under $100 or even under $50.

Building a cheap system will run $300, or more. Using a full seperate computer for web-hosting also means using a router or switch, and exposing your home network more so to hacker threats.
    Not thats ironic. You're exposed if you aren't already using a router or switch, or at least a hardware firewall of some sort (which is no cheaper than a router). Having a public web site doesn't make you anymore exposed, it just makes you a potential target, but it's very unlikely anyone with the skills to bypass a hardware firewall would even care about some measily web site that doesn't affect them.
    It also means using up bandwidth.
    Highly irrelevant unless you'll actually use many GBs a month or have many hits at once or want to have really large files used. Not everyone needs much bandwidth, in fact most smaller web sites don't need nearly the bandwidth (in terms of total Bs/months and bit/second) offered by a cable or DSL service.

$5 a month for a professional web host. 58k of your bandwidth, and a dedicated PC, and electricty from running a new PC in your house 24/7. That's EASILY over $5 a month.
    Spare PC that's already running 24/7 = $0 (worth less than $50 anyway)
    Cable service already payed for = $0
    Domain name = $5
    The ability to have instant access to your server and guarantee no downtime as long as your Internets up, not to mention have many GBs of space (as opposed to 2000MB) = Priceless
    For everything else, there's web hosting, which makes sense if getting a spare PC for next to nothing is hard/impossible, if you don't have broadband, or if you actually need considerable bandwidth.
    Me for using cliche Master Card commercial parody

Hi,
    I am a web hosting provider.

We have linux hosting with:
    cPanel Control Panel
    PHP Scripting Support
    MySQL Database Support
    PostgreSQL Database Support
    CGI Support + CGI Scripts
    Perl + Modules
    Script Libraries
    Unlimited E-mail accounts
    Unlimited Subdomains
    Unlimited FTP accounts
    Unlimited Databases
    Unlimited Parked Domains
    Unlimited Addon Domains
    Web-based File manager / E-mail browser (Of course supports FTP / POP / IMAP)
    Frontpage Extensions
    Web/FTP Stats
    Fantastico DeLuxe
    And loads more!

All the features you need for supreme web hosting!

Prices starting at $4 per month!

FREE domain name for 1 year! $10 Renewal

Please e-mail me on samurdha@gmail.com if you are interested.

I've been using http://www.stpwebhosting.com/ for many sites now. They are cheap, easy, have bunch of features: email, asp, ftp... That's my 2 cents...

-c

It looked okay, but I couldn't find out anything concerning overage charges. They said they turn the "free" page off after you exceed the daily bandwidth, but it said nothing on how they address it with a "premium" site.

while launching a new business must make some points in a written form to save your time because time is money, on the same side to resolve web hosting issue you can also check this Kinsta WordPress host reviews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information