Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JPG Compression ratios

Seeing that the order thread proved your figures wrong are you going to fix it at all?
    Or are you going to use the typical; Tweaktown makes mistakes like everyone else just we don't correct them.

Why don't you have a wonderful attitude - You won't even reveal your true identify by registering, but nevertheless I have a fair idea who you are - And if I am right, I do wonder sometimes about people who hold grudges.

In answering your question, I actually had a bit of a look at PSP and it appears to be it does use ratios, not percentages. Like I said in the other thread, I didn't perform any calculations myself, but went on what PSP reported. It's getting late now, but in the morning I'll study it more and if your theory is indeed correct, I will update the article.

Now if you're quite finished, I think your opinion has been well and truly made.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

So lets see, other than "not" saying you will be correcting the errors which have shown in the guide (Severe error at that) you know assume its a grudge.

I think its your attitude which needs to be checked.

Lets review shall we? I point out some errors in the guide, including the extremely serious & misleading compression ratio. You sit here, close threads & say "I'm only human", though rather than learning from your mistakes like most humans you just leave it as is then go ahead & make more of them.

As regards your looking at PSP its uses %age ratios. The slider on the bottom shows this also, at 25 the blue bar is 1/4 way to the right. At 50 it would be 1/2, etc. It's percentage, its obvious. Email the developers if you want to, they'll agree with me. The calculations further back it up.

It's no "theory".

As I said, I'll look into in the morning.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

&

Beefy Guest

Ummm... i'd like to jump in here if I may..

Now, I can't really say I knew that much about jpeg files.. Sure, I could rip apart a PC and put it together with my eyes closed, but just cos I've got a fair knowledge of the insides of a PC, doesn't mean I know exactly how jpegs work.

Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to put this kind of article on Slashdot.. It's true that /. is for the more advanced users / techs around the world. But I noticed that you were nice enough to give us a link to the ./ post where the article is mentioned.. Aside from all the sarcastic comments that a lot of people made, there are actually a few in there that seem genuine.

I don't see why you are putting Tweak down so much.. He's just been trying to help people from entering a situation which he has recently faced. I'll be the first to admit it's not the most in depth article i've seen him write, but it still brings the attention to the amount of traffic that can be saved by using varying amounts of compression on pictures. So he got a few little bits of terminology wrong.. At least he's out there trying to help people.

Now it's all well and good to sit there as an Unregistered user and post what you will. It shows us how weak your character really is. I could understand it if you came in here as a registered user and said these things. Maybe then we'd give you the time of day and be reasonable about this.

But no.. you've decided to basically launch on the offensive straight away and basically be a pain to everyone around here. Notice how other people are posting helpful and useful messages, yet you come in here and just flame away? OK, so maybe your first post was trying, in some kind of way, to be helpful... but really, repeatedly coming in and abusing Tweak for what he's done isn't really the way to do it..... Very little character indeed...

Now, i'm sure you'll come straight back at this post with some very nice retort, but I honestly couldn't care less. Instead of arguing with people, why don't you just keep your comments to yourself... they aren't helping anyone around here. If you wanna take this up with me personally, feel free. my email address is beefy_8@hotmail.com.. I look forward to hearing what you could possibly come up with to offend me further...

well said beefy :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Now it's all well and good to sit there as an Unregistered user and post what you will. It shows us how weak your character really is. I could understand it if you came in here as a registered user and said these things. Maybe then we'd give you the time of day and be reasonable about this.
    I don't feel the need to register. I'm only here to see the errors get sorted. I have zero wish to stick around beyond that.

As for "my character", you're right. I should rephrase. Well done Tweak!! Other than the fact you at no point cover that its JPEG & the ratios you use & thus conclusions you come to are WRONG, that & JPEGs have been around for years its fine.
    Should I keep up this level of sarcasm?

Why don't you stop trying to defend Wilmot. He is wrong, I've proven it to be wrong. I don't care what you think of my tone in the matter. Perhaps you should be more reasonable & just accept its wrong & edit it.

Well, I guess this kinda says it all. 2 days later & still the errors are up there.
    Kinda makes you wonder what else TTown doesn't bother fixing, even when the errors are pointed out publically, which is usually the best way to get people to fix things (As with Microsoft for example, heh).

In summary why don't you try better inform your readers by actually correcting mistakes rather than leaving them up. Perhaps this is why you "left" VIA. They probably don't keep on those who contually make mistakes but don't learn how to stop making them.

I suppose you expect me to get really angry and write something really defensive here? You're games don't work Thomas, go work on 3DSpotlight.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information