Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HTTP Authentication

i seriously doubt if it is enabled on geocites. You will have to find a free PHP enebaled webhost.... :P
    <a href="http://www.legionhardware.com/">LegionHardware.com</a>
    - Web Admin
    - PHP Pimp

php can actually do proper HTTP Basic Authentication by sending the page format header etc and popping up the proper browser specified logon box which you can check in a script. the beauty of it is that the only way yuou can get the password is by getting ftp or shell access to the server as it is not shown in any way on the end users page.
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

I use IIS 5.0 which allows me to password a site as you require (as any webserver worth it's crust should), and host my own site at home using Dynamic DNS for name service. I have an 256KBPS/64KBPS ADSL conneciton so it isn't too bad, over a modem would be fairly crap! If you like I can host a site for you. I'm moving soon so I'll be off the air until at least the end of Feb, but when I come back I should have a have a very tasty 1.5MBPS/256KBPS ADSL link!!

brash, with the rate of outages telstra have - assuming u mean telstra adsl, i can't see how good it is to host anything on adsl :D

might start doing that myself...hrm -i'm in the middle (512/128)
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

He's on Netspace ADSL I think :?:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

I'wouldn't touch Tel$tra with a 10 foot barge pole. I'm going with Netspace most likely. $200 per month for a 1.5MBPS/256KBPS connection with 15GB download and $0.09 for overdata. Which is still a ****eload of money, but the equal Tel$tra account is $446 a month with 10GB download and nearly $0.19 per meg for overdata!!

I forgot to mention that I have been hosting 4 sites on my existing FREE:D :D :D 256KBPS/64KBPS for nearly 12 months with at least 98% uptime. The other reason I'm going with Netspace is I worked there for three months and know the guys there actually have half an idea on what they're on about.

if you have a decent internet connection (i.e DSL w/static IP, or cable) you could just use IIS with Win2k server. If you don't have a good connection you can still use IIS just use one of the dynamic DNS sites to direct to your server. With IIS you password protect very easily. JMHO

That's what I have been doing. I'm using IIS 5.0 to host my sites.

http://www.instisec.com/publico/desc...default.en.asp
    some programs to help test the strength of a passworded website :geek:

Apache is much much much more reliable/secure than IIS though.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information