Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i goin the right way here?

im upgrading to xp 2400 and getting 256mb kingston pc 2100, and when i get more cash a ti4200, hows this sound? my rig is in my sig.:shoot3:

512 of PC2700 would be much better
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Judging from your system thats the order you should be going in :)
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

you are right that pc2700 would be better but im not sure how my mobo would like it, its designed for runnin it at 266mhz so i would hafta run it way faster if i had pc2700 (the board that is), and this board hates anything to do with overclocking. it isnt very stable running memory at high speed but i could try it?

Dude, right now is a dynamite time to buy an AMD rig (bang for the buck wise)

Scrap that mobo. (it is garbage, no offense)

Get:
    Epox 8RDA+ (92$ USD)
    (2) 256 PC 2700 OR (2) 512 PC2700 (get two identicle sticks of the same size) (70 - 125$ depending which size you get)
    2500+ Barton (333 FSB) (107$)

You WILL thank us.

AND THE BEST PART IS, in two years, you can swap in a 5000+ Barton for a 100$
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

U can't really use the benefit of the pc 2700 on thats board. however, pc2700 is only slightly more expensive than pc 2100. It will also downclock to the required speed. If u intend to upgrade the mobo eventually, it may be to your benefit to buy the faster ram, even though u cannot use it properly at this point. Also, based onthe idea that the k7s5a has 2 dimm's fr DDR only, u would be best off to buy the biggest stick u can afford.

Whereabouts in Canada are u from?

ill agree with most bad things people say about this board, i went ahead and bought a xp 2400 off ebay for 100 bucks, o ya im from ontario to answer yur question, i noticed the pc2700 isnt much more expensive so ill check it out when i get the chance. :smokin:

Last time I ordered ram from a supplier, the pc2700 and 2100 were identical in price. The shops seem to be making an extra bit of $$$ of the higher speed ram.

I'm from Guelph BTW, in Ontario of course.

thats crazy man im from Fergus, 20 mins down the road, what are the odds.

Hey neighbors - I live in Beamsville & work in Stoney Creek even though I list Toronto as my location for recognition sake, so I'm not far away either (~45min)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information