Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle Computers

I've been thinking about getting a Shuttle SB61G2 instead of upgrading my motherboard to the new ASUS P4P800. I kinda like the idea of having a silent box. The reviews I've read said that the fan gets loud when the computer gets hot from playing games and such. That is fine, I'd just like the box to be silent when I'm browsing the web and listening to music. Does anyone here have any experience with Shuttles or have any likes/dislikes that might help in my decision?

Lava - I donít have a shuttle cube ďyetĒ, but from what I hear, they are not silent even when just browsing and such. Fans make noise, and itís fans are crucial to heat removal even under normal conditions because the space is so small. They make even smaller computer motherboards that donít even need a fan, but they are less powerful and such, there is a good site about all that, I believe the form factor for them is mini-itx.

http://www.mini-itx.com/

I think theyíre the motherboards that go into them little cappuccino units thatís about the size of a thick CD-Rom drive. The site is pretty interesting and informative.

Is moderately low noise always a bad thing?
    A fan produces sound that some consider to be nearly like white noise. Itís a noise that basically has all or most of the humanly audible spectrum and is what helps semi private to private areas become more bearable, like restrooms and doctors waiting rooms, etc. Iím not sure exactly how loud these shuttles are, and Iíd guess that some of them are slightly different, especially when you add different video cards which many also have their own fans on them. You could put the unit on the far side of some sort of physical barrier, like a brief case or book shelf or whatever, that should block most of the higher more noticeable part of the sound. Just be careful to not block off the units fresh air return, evidently they are quite heat sensitive. Hope this helps.

I've only read two reviews, one Hexus and the other a gaming site, and both said that the Shuttle is silent under normal use but is louder than a normal tower unit under load. I looked at one at Compusa but its too loud in there to tell anything. I had an Apple Power Mac Cube a few years ago and it was silent. The only thing you could hear was the hard drive when accessing files.

I went ahead and ordered it. I decided to give it a try since its only $330 from Mwave.com and I can just move all of the parts over from my Cooler Master.

I am very interested in how it goes. All the reviews from buyers at newegg are rave reviews.

I think I have found the perfect case for non-geeky friends and relatives...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    I think I have found the perfect case for non-geeky friends and relatives...
    Well damn... I guess that means that I'M A GEEK!!!
    :rofl:
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Best wishes, but I wonder if you suppose too much about room and power compliance.

Will your video card fit? I saw a review where the newer card with a semi large fan will not fit in the shuttle. Will the 200 watt power supply accommodate your video cards needs?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Way
    Best wishes, but I wonder if you suppose too much about room and power compliance.

Will your video card fit? I saw a review where the newer card with a semi large fan will not fit in the shuttle. Will the 200 watt power supply accommodate your video cards needs?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    I got the Shuttle set up today and love it so far. I've only been running it for about 4 hours and so far the fan hasn't sped up except for a few seconds when rebooting. I've not had time to play any games longer than 5 mins to see if the high speed fan kicks in when gaming. It is much quieter than my Cooler Master case was and I'm very pleased with the noise level.

It was rather stressful getting this put together. I felt more confident this time around, being the third computer I've assembled, but still I was nervous. It is a very small case and I had trouble fitting in my Audigy card. I had to unscrew the drive bay and take it back out aftering putting it in because the Audigy was too tall to get into the slot. It fits, just not after the drive bay is installed, which is what the instructions tell you to do. The Radeon 9700 Pro fits fine. Its only the new GeForces that won't fit. I do wish I would have had the money to go ahead and buy more RAM now so that I wouldn't have to take everything apart to put it in.

As far as the power supply... I was told that it is exactly enough to handle the cpu, hard drive, cd, floppy, one pci and one agp card. So, the 200w is exactly what is needed to handle my equipment.

Lava Lamp Freak Ė Cool deal! Iím seeking to set up a similar machine, only at present time, Iím planning on using a micro ATX mobo and the All in wonder 9700 pro. (But I still ďmightĒ consider getting a Shuttle XPC, choices, choices, choices!) I keep wondering about power issues as I know that I would end up adding on power consuming add-ons, like: a second or backup hard drive, a second CD/DVD rom drive for drive to drive recording, USB camcorder, USB flat bed scanner, USB flightstick/joystick, USB media center hub.

Hmmm, well, I could plug all the USB stuff into an auxiliary powered USB multi-port hub and not worry about all these power drains.

But suppose I donít want to carry around yet another external device like the powered USB hub. I suppose then, if insufficient power would become an issue, one could purchase another slim 200 watt PS (probably w/a DIY mount outside the unit with sealed access back into the unit for the wire harness) and use it to power everything else but the motherboard and floppy, which would then leave the main PS more power to spare for the motherboard and add on cards! And in turn, each PS would tend to run cooler because of it being utilized more sparingly. Hmmmm.

Itís good to hear about it being so quite too.

So Iím a bit confused about the sound card fitting and the issue with the drive bay bracket. Did you have to remove the drive bay bracket permanently? If not, then how did you get it back in, since you said
    It is a very small case and I had trouble fitting in my Audigy card. I had to unscrew the drive bay and take it back out after putting it in because the Audigy was too tall to get into the slot. It fits, just not after the drive bay is installed, which is what the instructions tell you to do.
    I would have thought that you could not get the drive bay back in once you installed the sound card because there wasnít enough room.

All this talk is making me consider getting the XPC again. But so far, I think I prefer a micro ATX machine, with 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP w/some radical case modding. All fit into a small 10x6.5x13.62 (HxWxD) enclosure! However, the Shuttle XPCís area would be approximately 22.5% smaller and twice as light. But Iíd have 2 more PCI slots (perhaps serial ATA, modem, etc.), slightly more interior room, a somewhat less proprietary case, and itís cheaper, ,,, bulkier, ,,, but cheaper.

The case Iíd like to use is the InWin L545, but with itís entire top chopped off and the PS and floppy relocated within a modified ďslightlyĒ wider case. Or, I might keep it the same size configuration and just replace the outer cover with lightweight and perhaps see through material. Hmmmm.

Let me know how things progress with your machine, like itís loudness level at higher speed fan use, etc.

It has to be just jamming to take it to a friendís house and set up your complete computer setup with one trip from the car and without breaking a sweat. (Flat panel right?) I donít know if you will travel with it much, but Iíd drive the whole lightweight portable point home by also carrying a lightweight fold up chair that is ďreallyĒ comfortable, and perhaps even a mini aluminum tabletop/end table to compliment your setup with all the amenities of home. Ya gotta have those refreshments close by, but not keyboard near.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Way
    So I’m a bit confused about the sound card fitting and the issue with the drive bay bracket. Did you have to remove the drive bay bracket permanently? If not, then how did you get it back in, since you said I would have thought that you could not get the drive bay back in once you installed the sound card because there wasn’t enough room.
    No, not permanetly. The drive bay is held in by two screws and it sits on top of everything else in the case. There isn't much space between the top of the Audigy and the bottom of the drive bay. So, I had to unscrew the drive bay, leaving the drives connected, so that I could set the card into the PCI slot. Then I put the drive bay back in and screwed down. It really wasn't that much trouble.

I am very pleased so far with the Shuttle. It isn't much louder than my ReplayTV. I'm buying the Shuttle SN41G2 next week to replace my Home Theater PC. That is the current AMD Shuttle.

I don't do any traveling with my computer, but it would be much easier, yes. Here is a pic.
    Last edited by Lava Lamp Freak; 07-10-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information