Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD and DVD Drive

Hey guys! I finally have enough money to buy a DVD and CD drive. There are so many out there that I don't know really which one is better than another or if they are all pretty good. You tell me.

I was looking at the Samsung combo drive that has 52x24x52 speeds and 16x DVD speeds. It runs at $83 at XPCGEAR. But than again i am hesitant to get those all in one deals.

Maximum PC recomends the Plextor PXW4824TA/BPS CD-RW drive and the Sony DRU-500A DVD Burner.

I am confused. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanx and have a great time.

Chaos ROCKS!:flames:

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    Hey guys! I finally have enough money to buy a DVD and CD drive. There are so many out there that I don't know really which one is better than another or if they are all pretty good. You tell me.

I was looking at the Samsung combo drive that has 52x24x52 speeds and 16x DVD speeds. It runs at at XPCGEAR. But than again i am hesitant to get those all in one deals.

Maximum PC recomends the Plextor PXW4824TA/BPS CD-RW drive and the Sony DRU-500A DVD Burner.

I am confused. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanx and have a great time.

Chaos ROCKS!:flames:
    Combo drives are good enough if you only want to burn CDs and use DVD discs. However, you've then written that you are looking at a seperate CD burner and DVD burner. The combo drive doesn't act as a DVD burner, but the seperate drive will. It all depends on what you want.

Also something to take into consideration is the amount of free IDE ports / spaces on your case. Have you got the space for two drives instead of one? Enough free IDE connectors? If you wanted to get another IDE drive later one (another HDD, etc), could you accommodate that drive as well?

In the end it's up to you. Combo drives have picked up their game a fair bit recently, and will suffice for pretty much all users.

Well, I have a CD-RW drive and DVD-ROM drive, and I prefer that set-up, do to bteer possibilities, Write on the Fly etc. And ive always been sorta wary of combo drives. And FYI, I use the following s my two drives:

Memorex 52X24X52CDRW Pacific Dig. 16X DVDROM, i got the two for around $80 total, and they work great together

I have that Samsung combo and love it. I got it at Compusa for $100. I could have got it online for cheaper but I'm not that patient.

Plextor makes an excelent CD burner, but I'm not sure if they make DVD/CD-RW drives

but like Beefy said, are you looking for a DVD-Burner and a CD Burner or a DVD-Rom/CD-RW combo drive?

I think DVD-RW drives will also burn CD's, but I aint sure about that one
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    I think DVD-RW drives will also burn CD's, but I aint sure about that one
    Most do, but not at the greatest speeds.

oh sorry about the mixup. I do not want a DVD burner. Just a DVD player and a CD RW. As far as space, i have plenty of that. i can handle up to 4 optical drives.

Thanx for your support. I still have not made my decision, but I will tell you what I am going to get when i have decided.

Chaos

I prefer one of each not only for "on the fly" burning but also for redundency purposes.

OK guys....thanx for the support. I am going to get the Light-On CDRW and i think maybe a Sony DVD, but i am not settled on that part. Anyways thanx again.

I have a Samsung combo drive in my Gbox and I love it its a bit slower than some drives at CD audio extraction but its plenty fast for me and as an added bonus its very quiet. much quieter than my Pioneer DVD ROM and my Lite-On CDRW drives..
    :thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information