Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Barton 2500 and [insert mobo]

hey all,

i'm going to be upgrading my computer in a month or two, and this upgrade includes the CPU, mobo, and memory. i'm willing to throw upto (maybe a little over) $300 on this baby. at first, i wanted to get an XP 2400+ Tbred, Epox 8RDA+ mobo, and two sticks of Corsair XMS 256MB PC3200RAM.

a friend of mine, upon hearing my desires to overclock this puppy, suggested i should go with the newer barton core chips since they not only have a faster FSB but are known to overclock easily. would i be able to switch the CPUs around and leave the other components the way they are? i know i read a forum post somewhere about someone with an older version of the 8RDA+ having problems with the new barton core chips and a reply said something to the effect that there's a BIOS update that will support the barton chips and that newly manufactured 8RDAs come readily supporting the barton chip.

so if that's the truth, is this still pretty much the best investment i can get for my buck?
    AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.0 gHz
    EpoX 8RDA3+
    512MB Corsair XMS PC3200
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro w/Cat 4.7's
    SB Audigy
    WD 7200RPM 80GB HD w/8 MB cache
    MSI Dragonwriter CD-RW
    Pacific Digital DVD-ROM

newegg is shipping the 2.0 version of the 8rda+ which is supposed to be the better one.
    But I would definetly go with a nforce2 board as they are "da shiznit" of the current mobos on the market. :D
    BTW Barton and 8rda+ is what im thinking to get myself too.

I have a 2500+ on an Epox 8rda...nice duo..but i would shell out a lil more for the 8rda+....now thats a great mobo...
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by FLaCo
    I have a 2500+ on an Epox 8rda...nice duo..but i would shell out a lil more for the 8rda+....now thats a great mobo...
    didn't i say that's what i'm getting? :laugh:
    AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.0 gHz
    EpoX 8RDA3+
    512MB Corsair XMS PC3200
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro w/Cat 4.7's
    SB Audigy
    WD 7200RPM 80GB HD w/8 MB cache
    MSI Dragonwriter CD-RW
    Pacific Digital DVD-ROM

someone with an older version of the 8RDA+ having problems with the new barton core chips and a reply said something to the effect that there's a BIOS update that will support the barton chips and that newly manufactured 8RDAs come readily supporting the barton chip.
    Yep, that guy fell victum to YET ANOTHER problem with local re-tailers. Local shops often simply can't move merchandise, and then end up selling mobos with the very earliest bios's. Buy online and you won't have these problems.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by crownjules
    didn't i say that's what i'm getting? :laugh:

I wasn't telling you to get it...just a comment i made...

Besides...if you think about it...you "want " to get it...you are still asking us if you should.. so no..you didn't say thats the mobo you're getting... :laugh: Sry for being so technical...but so are you
    : party ha
    - Damien

I'd get the 8RDA3+ myself as they properly support a 200MHz FSB.

Thread Information