Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *the Upgraded Rig*

Well actually your FSB speed IS what your memory speed is. In other words, your memory runs at your FSB's set speed. I'll explain how the whole thing works, or atleast try:

Your memory is ABLE to run at 233mhz. If you set the FSB to run at 217mhz, that extra 17mhz is WASTED. Say bye bye to that yummy 17mhz fsb, you have just wasted money on pc-3700 when you are just as well off to get pc-3500. SO then - when you choose a FSB, that is what the system has available to it. The ENTIRE system, not just the processor. The memory, processor, video card, and anything else on your system bus uses the FSB that is available. However, I should note, that the AGP (video card) and PCI (anything on it) are sensitive to how much mhz they get and should be locked at their defaults in the bios.

Anyways, my main point here is that when you think you're saving room by not overclocking that last 17mhz on your FSB, it's not stored and readily available for something else like the video card to use... its just not there.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooder
    Well actually your FSB speed IS what your memory speed is. In other words, your memory runs at your FSB's set speed. I'll explain how the whole thing works, or atleast try:
    Interesting. Then explain how my RAM is running at 400Mhz, yet my FSB is only 166 (x 2)... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooder
    Your memory is ABLE to run at 233mhz. If you set the FSB to run at 217mhz, that extra 17mhz is WASTED. Say bye bye to that yummy 17mhz fsb
    and then DMA comes into play...

any bandwidth that is not used by the cpu is still available to other devices...such as your videocard and any DMA enabled device
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Interesting. Then explain how my RAM is running at 400Mhz, yet my FSB is only 166 (x 2)... :)
    Lol, okay sorry. I was thinking just simple and 1:1 in sync ratio. My bad. But hey lets not confuse him with any more options, you just about caused spontanious combustion in my head there already. :wow::hammer:

Beefy's right -> There are other options, you can run your ram not the same speed as your FSB... but since systems generally meet their best performance when the ram and fsb are in sync you may just want stay with what you've got.

Beefy Guest

Hehehe.. I had to throw a spanner into the works. It's my job. :)

*Head explodes* :grr: (hmm... we need a better "head exploding" smiley, just a thought :D ).

J/k, so was I right in the first place then? Run the CPU at 216mhz and the RAM at 233? Also, is 17MHz enough bandwith to be left over for other devices? J/w. Thx alot for the replies tho, : peace2: Mista K6

EDIT: Son of a... I just read this article you posted, Beefy, from Tom's Hardware.

"Readings taken with Content Creation Winstone prove that Windows 2000 and XP systems don't really take off until they have 1 GB or more of RAM. The benchmarks show how heavily system performance depends on the amount of memory. Indeed, 512-MB RAM is the bare minimum for fast Windows XP systems."
    :cry: :tears: :cry: .

So, does this mean I'm going to have to buy 2 x512mb of PC3700 (that is really gonna hurt the old pocket book) or are they talking "fast" as in super light speed galaxies beyond any realworld application (games, etc). J/w...
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

[B]
    J/k, so was I right in the first place then? Run the CPU at 216mhz and the RAM at 233? Also, is 17MHz enough bandwith to be left over for other devices? J/w. Thx alot for the replies tho, : peace2: Mista K6
    So that's what you meant. Well no, leaving 17mhz out still will not mean that other devices will get access to that 17mhz. If the CPU cannot access the 17mhz, then neither can any other device. The only difference you MAY notice is that the memory is running cooler (which you probably wont be able to because of heatspreaders anyways).

[B]
    So, does this mean I'm going to have to buy 2 x512mb of PC3700 (that is really gonna hurt the old pocket book) or are they talking "fast" as in super light speed galaxies beyond any realworld application (games, etc). J/w...
    LoL. 1gb is not needed. Although I don't now have to time to read the article, for games specifically, you would want to save your money as 512 should run any game just fine... that is, if you dont want to injure that old pocket book. : peace2:

Hmm... I heard stuff about if you give the CPU access to it, then the other devices fight with the CPU for it. I've heard a couple of different theories on this... ah well. I'll try out everything, but first, I'm gonna get everything running smootly and stock (stock for the 3700 would still be 466 tho, right?). I have 768MB of *pooey* (besides SDRAM) in this right now, and I've never noticed a game slow down because of it. It seems most modern games put the most stress on Video cards and CPUs. I'm not really into numbers and benchmarking, it doesnt make a difference to me. It's just that when I buy these parts I want every game to run perfectly on them (given my Ti4200 can handle it). So I'll still with 2x256. The worst that will happen is that in the future, I'll have to upgrade again, ah well. THx for the reply. : peace2: Mista K6.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Well everything runs through the CPU, the devices can't run themselves to the ram without the help of the cpu. Which is why its all shared memory. Video card memory is on the card for just that reason, so that its fast and only used for video.

Yep, running the memory stock (233mhz or 466mhz DDR) should be very stable and fast. Not only that, but even this memory stock is a large overclock for the system.

512mb will do your system just right, and even though you don't care much about benchmarks, you'll be getting nice numbers. The only thing really left for your system to be top notch is your video card, but as long as it runs todays games then you're good (from what I read from your atleast).

Well, I'm gonna get the RAM running at 233 even tho my bus will be at stock 200 (like the difference Beefy had his comp at). The when I'm ready to o/c, I'll just bring the bus up to where the RAM is. That way my RAM will always stay cool and have a long life :thumb: (I've heard RAM is one of the components of a comp that is more sensitive to o/cing, that true?). As for the video card, I know it isnt the greatest, but I'll buy a FX 5900 or a Radeon 9800 once I get some more cash, that Ti4200 is a still a damn good card, and once I get my new case (which has superior cooling compared to this piece of junk), I'll o/c the hell out of it. I'm thinking 315/600... heh heh heh :smokin: . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information