Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: *the Upgraded Rig*

Wow, I just read that exact same review after I posted. That other one where the i865 was slower was from the tweaktown review of the Via 800 or something like that (the newest one). Must have been a screw up, nothing is perfect (although this site is damn close :thumb: ). Yah, you were 100% right tho scooder, the i865 is just as fast as the i875 (I read other reviews too, with tests, charts, etc). The Abit IS7 is sweet, but I think the MSI is even sweeter. Not only did it perform the best, it also overclocked the best, which is what I will be doing. Also, I have an MSI graphics card, and it overclocks beautifully, so I know that these results are accurate (if MSI puts the same quality in mobo's as they do in their graphics cards). I also found it funny that some boards, like the Intel, couldnt even run the stock 200FSB :rofl: . *ahem*, anyways, the final (I hope) upgrades will be:

Intel P4 2.8GHz "C" ($268)

MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R ($162)

2x 256MB of OCZ 3700EL DDR SD RAM ($85 x 2 =$170)

Antec Soho File Server Case 1080 AMG ($119)

Total: $719 (and the shipping on the case, w/e that is)

Not bad at all. I could go with the Neo 2-LS for $106, but I really like the Gigabit LAN (No need for ethernet card = extra PCI slot), ATA/133 (so I dont need my controller card = extra PCI slot) and the RAID (some future proofing there). Anywho, I think it's all pretty sweet, and if no one sees anything wrong with this, once I get the parts and put everything together, I'll post a thread w/ stock #'s/scores, and then some o/c'd #'s/scores :D :smokin: :D :smokin: . : peace2: all, thx for all the help, Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Ah good to see your decisions have shaped up :) Looks promising. Sorry, cant help myself, one last note:
    The Neo2 has a special feature that no other board has (as far as I know). It's Dynamic Overclocking (DOC in that review). I haven't gone back as far as to see the non DOC marks in that review, but I know it's still pretty good. I personally dont trust that new feature yet, but I use a MSI mobo now and its proven to be great. Well I now forget my point, so I guess happy computing :)

Yah, I noticed that too. Even when the board isnt in DOC it still spanks all the other boards in almost every test. Def. sweet :thumb: . I guess the last thing I'm looking at is whether I should get the FIS2R or the LS (Is 1000 Gigabit LAN the same as a 100/1000 Ethernet card? or am I missing something? Also, can 1000 speed be used be used by a desktop, or is that just for servers and is an overkill?). Also, I'm looking at the OCZ 3700 gold. It brings the CAS2.5 timing of the 3700 EL down to CAS2, is the extra $50 worth it? Is it better RAM for o/cing (seems like it). Thx for all the help already, those are my last two thoughts, and I'm gonna order this stuff pretty soon. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Quote Originally Posted by Mista K6
    Yah, I noticed that too. Even when the board isnt in DOC it still spanks all the other boards in almost every test. Def. sweet :thumb: . I guess the last thing I'm looking at is whether I should get the FIS2R or the LS (Is 1000 Gigabit LAN the same as a 100/1000 Ethernet card? or am I missing something? Also, can 1000 speed be used be used by a desktop, or is that just for servers and is an overkill?). Also, I'm looking at the OCZ 3700 gold. It brings the CAS2.5 timing of the 3700 EL down to CAS2, is the extra worth it? Is it better RAM for o/cing (seems like it). Thx for all the help already, those are my last two thoughts, and I'm gonna order this stuff pretty soon. : peace2: Mista K6
    Glad to help much as I can.
    I believe the gbLAN is the same as an 100/1000 ethernet card, with drawbacks though. It will, just like any onboard chip, use more CPU power than a regular PCI card would. Also, I don't think having a gigabit lan card has any real advantages to a 10/100 card if you don't have the network bandwith to use it. IE you'll get the same speeds on the gbLAN over your cable internet as you would a 10/100 card. However, if two comps in your house have a gbLAN card, then they could transfer to eachother faster. Dunno.. heh
    Not sure about the memory... I'd say get whatever clocks higher, but its up to you really. I couldnt find a ton of info on how good the 3700EL is.

yah, once again, thx alot for all the input you've given me. I think for the other comp in the house, I'm gonna get a 100/1000 wireless card w/ a wireless router, so iuno if it'll be faster (I'm switching over to cable as of this week). The LS version of that board only has 10/100 LAN, and no RAID. Seeing that all HDD's are gonna eventually go to Serial ATA, having the RAID function doesnt seem like a bad idea (also, a RAID controller card is insanely expensive, just as a 100/1000 ethernet card would be). Just wondering, how much more CPU power does it take than a card would?, I mean, both boards come with it, so I'd use it anyways. I really dont wanna save the $50 now and get screwed in the future and have to buy a whole new board for alot more. Spend a little more now, save a lot more later :thumb: . Thx, : peace2: Mista K6.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Okay, I dont believe you'll connect to the net any faster with a 100/1000, but if you don't want to get one or have already a PCI network card then you're gonna need something to connect with anyways so hey why not. About the CPU power: Onboard will use more of it, how much it uses may be very very little... you won't be able to notice without the use of CPU benchmark comparisons. However to some power users (ie people wanting benchmark numbers only), that difference may be their cup of tea.

I personally like the modular idea of buying a very basic mobo with high performance, then buy any necessary items for features that I need. That way, I hopefully don't need to spend more when I upgrade next. However, you may like the idea of having those features for cheap now, even if you have to buy them again if you need them next upgrade. For example, I'd rather buy the cheaper mobo and then fork out the extra $15 for the network card. Then again, I'm a very basic person and don't use many USB ports, any firewire ports, or any other special features really if it doesnt relate to performance and gaming so my choices may reflect someone with totally different needs.

Seems like a good idea, and I justm ight go with the $106 now... I mean, the chances of me using RAID are pretty slim, but the LS version still has the same 2 SATA ports, so it should be golden. Also, I already have a network card, so I really wont need the gigabit net. Anyways, you put a new light on that, thx. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Glad to help, mate ;)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information