Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *the Upgraded Rig*

Well, I posted this a bit a go, but I'm finally gonna have the cash to do it :D . Ok, my system right now is in my sig. The upgrades are gonna be:

Intel P4 2.8C

Googlegear Entry Level Server Case w/ 420watt PSU
    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=143208
    OR
    Antec Performance Plus Series Plus1080AMG Soho File Server Case w/430watt PSU
    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=140108

Albatron PX865PE Pro i865PE P4 (1200FSB) mobo
    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=246218

(RAM) (3200-3700, not sure yet)

Ok, I have about a month to get more money, but I wanna research this extensively before I buy so I know I'm getting the best deal. Questions:

1) I'm gonna overclock the 2.8GHz to at least 3GHz, maybe 3.2. Is the stock fan and heat sink gonna cover that?

2) The mobo says it supports 1200FSB. I probably wont crank it up to there, but will it all be compatible if I o/c the CPU?

3) Which is better? THe thing I'm worried about is noise. THis Dell Case only has two fans (CPU and PSU) but they always run at full speed cause the case has no air flow what-so-ever, so its always pretty damn loud in the summer. I wanna stop this with the new case. THe Antec is $40 more, but has the Low Noise cooling solution, and a fan over the PCI cards. Is it worth it?

4) What the heck kind of memory should I get? I want something in the 3200 to 3700 range. But what brand should I get? What kind of heat spreaders? Should I get 2x 256MB or 2x 512MB. Will 2x256 MB of 3700 be just as good as 2x 512MB of 3200, etc. Also, what about compatiblity w/ o/cing? I want this all to run smooth as possible with o/cing, as I'm new to it and dont wanna screw anything up.

Ok, I think that's it. Flood me with opinions and advice :p . Like I said, I still have some time, but I wanna be all set when I get the cash so I can do it and do it right. Thx a lot in advance, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

1) Yeah, you'll be able to take the 2.8 to 3 and above easily. With a nice set of RAM you'll be able to take it to 3.5 even. And yes the stock HSF is just fine I believe, someone may correct me though since I haven't worked with 2.8 and up much.

2) Well, lets see here. Assuming you want to run the RAM and CPU in sync (1:1 ratio):
    1200mhz quad pumped = 300mhz memory FSB (you'll never hit that)
    so.. what is within range?
    If you can get you RAM to 250mhz: that would mean your processor would be clocked at 3.5Ghz (14 * 250) and you'd be running at 1000mhz quad pumped FSB. If you choose this path you'd need some RAM that will do 250mhz (DDR500). Only thing I can reccomend without searching too far is OCZ Gold 3700.

3) If I were you I'd definately take the Antec case. The True Power PSU with that is one of the highest quality in the market, so you'll be saving money on that alone. If you're going to be overclocking its always good to have a safe PSU and I didn't see any info on what brand PSU is included with that top case.

4)I mentioned above about memory briefly. Only other thing I'll mention is that 1024MB of RAM is prob going to be overkill, if it was me I'd just get 2x256 of high performance stuff.

Good luck

I agree with everything posted above with the exception of #3

In systems that I've built, I've put in a lot of vantec products aimed at keeping everthing quiet. The true 420 is not a quiet PSU, nor are the antec fans that come in the 1080.

What I do is replace the PSU and fans with teh Stealth series of products. We include the Stealth series PSU whihc is scary quiet compared to most. Then we add 3 case fans. 2 at the rear and 1 on the side. The 2 front fans that can be mounted in this case tend to create alot of vibration becuae of the way they are designed. I also find them uncessary from a coling standpoint. Fron personal experience I know that the lower fan in teh rear of that antec case will suck air over your drives assuming u mount them in te lower pod.

Having done all of that, u will then come to the conclusion that the stock intel HSF is LOUDER than anything in the system and u may want to replace it with something a little quieter.

Ah Vinnie you make good points, guess I should've read their message more carefully. I've heard the Antec stuff to be rather louder as well, so if you're all about silence, Vinnie made good insight. The reason I prefer Antec is purely for performance, which may be negligible anyways (excluding the PSU).

My personal taste if I wanted silence:
    Go with the first listed case, or find another case in the Chenming style for cheap. Try to find one with a high quality PSU or none included at all. Replace any included fans with quiet ones like Vinnie said (although I prefer the one fan in the front of the case). Replace or add in a 'silent' PSU (such as SilenX, Vantec, or Raidmax).

You can save a nice chunk of cash finding just a regular Chenming design or other copycat for cheap without too many added things like Thermaltake has done. Here's a very similiar design for cheap without too much extras added:
    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=140026

Hmmm... So with DDR433 I could hit 216mhz, which would be 3.024GHz? I've heard alot of sources say that most RAM doesnt run at its advertised speed. Basically, I wanna bump the system up a bit, but still have a long life time, as this is my last upgrade b4 college. DDR466 seems like it could run aup to 233, which would give me 3.262GHz. That's 400MHz more, but when would I start to see the life of everything go down, and I'll start having cooling issues? Also, what about buying DDR466 and running it at 433MHz, will that give me a performance boost and still keep the life up, or is it over kill? Oh yah, I think I'm gonna go with just 2x256MB, that way I'll save some cash :thumb: .

I like the case, but I checked up on the Stealth PSU's and even 420watt one is $85-90 :wow: . So, what kind of noise are we talking about here? I mean, right now mine is REALLY bad, it sounds like a light vacumn cleaner, maybe 60-70dB (no kidding). So, if the new case, probably the antec one which advertises low noise, is only gonna amount to <50dB no worries then. Its not so much that I want silence, I just dont want a comp that I can hear as I'm coming up the stairs to my room to use it :shoot2: . Also, Dell's come with kind of an air duct over the CPU, HS, and HSF to guide the air directly out to the fan and not to allow it to spread to the case (since there's no case fans :( ), could I install this on the new case?

Other than that I think it's good. The only other thing that I'm not sure of is Hard drives. Right now, my comp has the WD as C and I use it as the system drive. The MAxtor I have as F and I use it as my performance/gaming drive. Dell installed Windows XP Home Edition on the C, and it would be my guess that I cant use it again with the new mobo, PSU, etc (asking for a crash... ). My friend built his comp and he used Windows XP professional and still has all the CD's and what not for it. So, could I save all my needed files, delete and reformat my C (how the hell do I do that?, I'll keep it in NTFS format tho), Install his XP on it, get the comp running, and then move all the files I dont want on the F back to the C. Would that work? Or is each XP have its own code and would I be screwing with his online account at microsoft when I do that? I think I might post this in the Windows forum anyways. Thx alot for the replies already, they've really helped. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Installing windows on more than one machine is illegal, you'll have to buy your own copy.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

whoops :D .

j/k, I wont do it then. However, I think I'm gonna go with the bottomline XP Home Edition, which is still like $88. Bah :mad: .

Ah well, I guess my only other question would be should I get 2x 256MB of 3500 or 3700 (I'm ruling out 3200 cause I wanna overclock). Also, what brand? I heard Cosair XMS thrown around a lot (Wiggo recommends it, so that's gotta be a plus :thumb: ), so is that what I should get? Thx again, : peace2: Mista K6.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Ok, I just read some more posts on memory; looks like I'm getting 3700. With the FSB already at 200MHz, if I o/c the 2.8C to 3.0GHz, That means the RAM's gonna run at 216MHz, with only 17MHz left over for w/e else needs it. I have a 128MB video card and an Audigy 2 sound card (does a sound card even use RAM?), so will that be enough, or should I only o/c to 2.9GHz? Thx, I think that's the last problem. The final upgrades should be then:

Intel P4 2.8C ($268 USD)

Antec Performance Plus Series Plus1080AMG Soho File Server Case w/430watt PSU ($118 USD)

Albatron PX865PE Pro i865PE P4 (1200FSB) mobo ($114 USD)

2x 256MB of PC3700 DDR466 RAM (probably gonna be a Cosair XMS twin pack w/ Platinum heat spreaders for $172 USD, unless someone proves it a bad choice).

I think that's it, tell me what ya think, are the prices ok? Other than that, when my next two paychecks come in, I'm ordering :D .
    : peace2: , Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

The faster the mem, the better... 3700 is a good choice. Pretty much any company today that advertizes 3700 speeds will meet it, really only high performance RAM is able to do it.

If you're afraid of your system losing its legs because of overclocking, well... with this type of setup the length of its life will hardly be hurt. You can count on your system being old and useless before it burns up. Like say, your system would last 10 years... it may now only last 9. If you're getting pc-3700, read reviews to what they got it up to. If they got it to, say, 250mhz... well stay at 240ish and you should be fine and stable. If you're buying a 2.8ghz, I would go past 3ghz if I were you. You can get 2.4's to 3ghz for a lot less money. Run the memory at stock speed (233mhz) and boost your comp to what you said, 3.26ghz. Your ram may have a lifetime warranty on it anyways if you run it within spec, go and check.

Good luck again : peace2:

Wow, that sounds great, thx :thumb: . The thing I'm weary of is if say I run it at stock speed (233) and boost the FSB up to that. Then the CPU eats all my RAM and if my Graphics card or something needs it, then I'm out of bandwidth... :( . So, I'm wondering what I should do there... No worries tho, I'm gonna work on getting the parts first and putting it together, and once everything is running smoothly, THEN I'll o/c. Thx for the replies. : peace2: Mista K6.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information