Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Future Proofed?

Well, I have the other thread like this, but it was getting quite long, so I decided to start this one (hopefully it'll be shorter). These are the upgrades that I'm getting:

Intel P4 2.8GHz "C" CPU
    MSI Neo2-FIS2R i865PE mobo
    2x 256MB OCZ 3700EL Gold Series RAM
    Antec 1080 File Server Case w/430watt PSU.

Is that gonna be good for awhile? Is there any totally different and new tech coming out soon (2 months) that I should wait for? I'll probably be able to do another upgrade again at like, Feb or March in 2004. But until then... I looked around online, but I dunno what I'd be looking for, so any help is really appreciated. Thx in advance, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

what do you use your computer for mostly?

your current rig right now seems alright..

edit:
    eh.. i just read (your) other article and it seems like you want to overclock.. to answer to your question, no one can say that any system is future proof (well maybe a few months), because new technology is always coming out.

Basically this is gonna be a gaming comp, I'm not gonna go nuts over benchmark #'s, but I'll still test it out and get it running at its best. I just wanna know if anything that's gonna change the face of computing DRAMATICALLY is coming out, like DDR-II, etc. Thx for the reply, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

I just wanna know if anything that's gonna change the face of computing DRAMATICALLY is coming out
    We actually are witnessing three pretty dramatic changes in computers. Serial ATA finally replacing the ancient and pathetic IDE standard. The Athlon64 finally pushing x86 out the door. And lastly, not quite as significant, but still substantial, PCI Express will start appearing on mobos in late 03 or early 04. AGP is almost dead, as well as PCI slots as we know them. Each of these technologies are right on the horizon, and approaching quickly.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Yah, but then I'd have to buy new PCI cards, a new graphics card, and etc. I'll do all that if I build a new PC when I go to college. Anyways, I dont think that dramatic of a change is gonna make a big impact on the market, as most users are still gonna have AGP and normal PCI card mobos. I dunno why hardware manufacturers think that constantly updating and putting out new and faster hardware is gonna make people buy more. Only true enthusiasts are gonna try and keep up. Most of the people I know have gotten disgusted with the way things are going, and now have gone to consoles for gaming. I really cant blame them. I think this might be my last upgrade, and then once my comp gets too slow to run games adequately, I'll go to consoles too, or stop altogether :( . Ah well, thx for the reply. : peace2: Mista K6.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

I'm not saying that those technologies are a reason to not upgrade, nor am I saying that they will have an immediate effect on prices.

You just asked if any dramatic changes were happening.... :D
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

No worries m8, thx for the info, that's just me ranting^^ :p . Ah, I'll upgrade anyway, I should be good for awhile. I was thinking of buying a nVidia FX5900 or w/e is fast and around $300 at around X-Mas too, vid card cant be that bad after being out for 4 months. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Quote Originally Posted by Mista K6
    No worries m8, thx for the info, that's just me ranting^^ :p . Ah, I'll upgrade anyway, I should be good for awhile. I was thinking of buying a nVidia FX5900 or w/e is fast and around 0 at around X-Mas too, vid card cant be that bad after being out for 4 months. : peace2: Mista K6

Yeah, after all is said and done....NOTHING is "future proofed" when it comes to computers. Because they are comming out with so many new things at an incredible rate! The only thing you can do, is get what you think you need and will last you for awhile! Really, that is all you can do!

Take me for example, I have a Soyo syk7vta-pro motherbboard and I STILL have 512 mb of SDRAM!! Not even DDR!! But it does the job! Now I have ordered a new motherboard, except THIS TIME I have done my homework! I checked for the best all around performing motherboard for an AMD chip. The one I have settled on is the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe! Because so many sites have given it awards for performance and I want THIS one to last me awhile!

I am also going to have to upgrade my RAM and get some DDR, but other than that I am keeping my processor (AMD xp 2000) which is not the fastest, but will do for now and everything else I have I will keep also, but with this MB, I can always add a new processor later on. (it will take up to an AMD XP 3200 with BIOS upgrade) I know that newer things are on the way....like the new pci express that will eventually replace the AGP port! But I figure that if I wait for new things to come out, I may be waiting awhile! I haven't upgraded in two or three years, so I figure it is time for a change! But I have been happy with what I have had up until then.

The only thing you can do when it comes to computers, is get what YOU need..... not what somebody else SAYS you need! Even then, there will always be new "toys" comming out all the time, that's just the way it is!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

100% right mate, I think this new set up will suit me just find and should last me awhile.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Thread Information