Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Got a super buy on a Sony Vaio, BUT...

I got a hell of a deal on an almost new Sony Vaio system ($100 US). I bought it from the person becuase it has a 2.4 ghz P4 processor in it and if worse came to worse I could use the parts and build a good system.
    I was actually thinking that I could get by using this system as a spare but found out there is no chance of that becuase the dang thing doesn't have an AGP port, only an Intel onboard 64 mb shared memory graphics adapter, and my computers are used mostly for video games. I already tested the graphics adapter on it and its not going to cut the mustard, I need a way to put a better video card in it to make it work for me. I doubt PCI video cards would be much better.
    Why the hell would someone make a mainboard without an AGP port nowdays anyway?:shrug:
    What should I do? I like the case becuase it matches the monitor and fits perfectly where I want but I don't think I can possibly live without an AGP port on the mainboard.

Well, you could buy a new mobo, but I dunno if itll work, damn propietary cases

Quote Originally Posted by segageo64
    Why the hell would someone make a mainboard without an AGP port nowdays anyway?:shrug:
    Thats why its a VAIO...like every other Compaq, HP or anything of that sort...they cut corners to give you a value...

The beauty of building your own is that for the price you get a premade pc at a retailer you can make a very good PC on your own. For 100 bucks tho...i don't see it as much of a lost..i mean i still use my 900 mhz HP as sec comp.
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Well, you could buy a new mobo, but I dunno if itll work, damn propietary cases
    Thats a possibility but I don't think it'll work becuase of the fact that most (i think all) AGP ports are on top of the PCI ports on mobo's and there is no room to cut a new slot opening into the back of the case. Maybe I could get a mainboard with only 2 or 3 PCI slots that would work so the AGP port would line up with the top slot. The case only has built in openings for 4 PCI slots and the current board looks like it fits very tight. I'm sure I'll also have to get a bigger power supply and a full size PSU is going to be tight but I think it'll fit. Hopefully the wire harness for the power led and front panel fits or can be made to work on a generic board if that part of it is propietary to Sony systems.

Anyone have any suggestions on a mobo that might work for me with an 8X AGP port?

Thread Information