Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New CPU?

I've posted about a new CPU upgrade before but I heard about the Barton and now I'm confused. I want to get an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ with 333 FSB, but I don't know which core to get... I heard about being able to overclock the Barton core easier than the Thoroughbred core, but I really don't know

So which one is faster? Barton or Thoroughbred?

The Bartons all have 512kB L2 cache, as opposed to 256kB L2 cache on previous Socket A Athlons. At the same core speed, the extra helping of cache is a plus.

So overall, the AMD Athlon XP 2700 with the Barton core is faster than an XP 2700 with a T-bred core, as well as being easier to overclock? And uhh..... what's the "+" for? I see some listed with the + and somewith out it...

Must be a typo.

I'm not sure about the overclocking (this varies from chip to chip), but the 512kB cache will definitely help.

XP2700+'s don't come in Barton cores (T'bred B's only) but usually they perform better than XP2800+ Bartons in most benchtests due to their higher frequency.

Crap... which Athlon XP comes with the Barton: the 2500+ or the 2600+, and if I overclocked it how high could it get? 3000+? (I have 4 case fans for cooling ;) )

The XP2500+ is the Barton cored one and yes ya could get it up to XP3000+ ratin'.

Thread Information