Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK I got $3000 to spend now what do i get

OK I am sick of my old p3 450 mhz compaq. I want to take a big step forward in tech. I want an extreme gaming pc. I Was looking at those top of the line alienware computers which run around $3000. I was thinking that i should build my own computer which could be better for the price or cheaper and the same. SO i thought i would get some help from the smart people of the forums and ask them what they think, which parts to get which not to get. I think i want to stick with the p4 and want to have it going at over 3000mhz. Please help me our with all the choices, i dont want to pick a bad apple on my project. Which parts are the best which ones should i use?

Thanks

Dre

P4 "C" 2.8 GHz or above, C means 800MHz FSB
    1GB PC3500 DDR Memory
    Intel 875 Chipset Motherboard, biggest research part, needs RAID.
    GeForceFX 5900 Ultra or Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 120 Western Digital "JB" IDE Hard Drives, or Western Digital Raptor SATA Drives in RAID 0
    48x+ CDRW
    16x DVD-ROM or possible DVD-R ( i dont know crap about those thou)
    Good HSF. Post a specific thread in Cooling section about that.
    Case of your choice.

Brand names for RAM, Video card, HSF, and Case are your choice. Opinions will prolly stem below me. I like Abit and MSI for the motherboard, Corsair for the RAM, and whatever floats your boat for the HSF and Case.

There are hundreds of suggestions in ALL of the threads.
    I would spend some time reading and doing my homework and then have fun shopping.

I doubt you will need more than 2k to build a good system.
    I just built my 5th system for my home and it was only around $1400. I of course had a few items already laying around.
    I also didn't spend the extra $300-$400 on a 3GHz chip since they are coming out with 64bit procs. soon. Same with the video. I will wait for the next gen of cards to come out.
    There are too many changes right now with bus speeds, DDR ram, the new 420 is coming out......just too many items to justify the expense when you know they are coming out with a new gen sooooon.
    Although even adding in those items, plus all of the new lighting I picked up I was still under 2k.
    Not including my new 19in. LCD.
    You might want to spend a few dollars on a nice monitor unless you already have one. For me, they can make or break a system. It is what you look at the whole time!
    I also like the best in mice/keyboards.
    If you want to go over the top, I would also suggest going to pc-performance.com and checking out their modded power supplies. Mine went for a little over $200 just for the power supply, so I guess I went a little over what most people would spend. You get what you pay for though when you buy top of the line stuff. They mod and sleeve it for you. In UV reactive sleeving if you want, as well as any color you could imagine. You also choose the Heat Shrink color. The wires are removeable from the PSU, so you can attach and detach wiring as needed, so you don't have extra wire looms hanging in your case. In my case I have a 3 window, so it wouldn't look right with wires zip tied up.
    There are a ton of options. You get what you pay for.
    Of course you can always get a PSU for $30-70 too.
    My case is black with gold accents(power button, reset, USB/IEEE cover, ect., gold thumbscrews, with all Blue UV and gold accents inside.
    I also picked up Gold and Blue UV sleeving, some UV heatshrink and sleeved ever wire in my computer. Even the 1 wire fan rpm
    wires. It makes for a VERY clean looking system, and it looks great at night with the 2 CC blacklights on them.

The possibilities are endless. It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend on each component.
    Nothing better than building your own computer and having the money to buy whatever you want....have fun and do your homework...

Chez

Beefy Guest

P4 "C" 2.8 GHz or better + decent motherboard + decent HSF
    1GB PC3500 DDR Memory
    Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder
    3 x Maxtor 120GB DiamondMax 9 SATA HDDs in RAID
    LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW
    Pioneer A06 DVD+RW/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD-R drive
    Other peripherals to personal choice (Keyboard, mouse, speakers, case, etc...)
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    P4 "C" 2.8 GHz or better + decent motherboard + decent HSF
    1GB PC3500 DDR Memory
    Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder
    3 x Maxtor 120GB DiamondMax 9 SATA HDDs in RAID
    LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW
    Pioneer A06 DVD+RW/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD-R drive
    Other peripherals to personal choice (Keyboard, mouse, speakers, case, etc...)
    [/b[/QUOTE
    two words. mental stability.

Here is what i would get for ur money.
    P4 3.0ghz. (coming way down thanx to 3.2)
    Ati Radeon 9700pro. (Very stable high performance card.)
    The gigabyte mobos can look fully sick so i would get one of their Canterwood chipsets.
    19inch crt. Maybe sony trinitron g220 if they are still in production.
    Nice optical mouse.
    Decent aluminium case.
    Audigy 2
    Decent set of surround sound speakers.

Hope that helped ya.
    with those compnents u would have a beast of a pc. Guaranteed to wow at the next LAN.:shrug:
    Wasup punk?

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    two words. mental stability.
    What's wrong with my machine?

OK keep the choices coming i am liking what i see.

Also since i am seeing lots of mention of new parts coming out and older ones going down in price, do you htink it would be wiser to wait it out a little bit and let the prices go down a bit before i buy? Also how long do you htink i should wait if i did do this?

Thanks
    Dre

Also what size should the power supply for the case be?

A. No, you will end up waiting forever, as new parts come out everyday. Save money on the items you plan to upgrade with next gen products.

B. Refer to A.

C. Antec 550w.

Chez

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information