Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Buying New Parts, What Ya Think ?

thomson1968 Guest

I'am probably going to buy (re-new)some new bits and pieces for my setup here.
    Thing is,,,,,although I'am a little computer literate and can build the machine etc, I still need guidence and advice when upgrading etc.
    I would like people's opinions on what parts they think I should keep and also what parts could be doing with being replaced and what the best makes and models etc in thier opinion are that I should use, I want honest opinions and not just the normal stupid "I've got this, so you should buy this" opinion please.

Hopefully you should be able to see my setup details below.

One of the things I'am definetly adding is another hard drive, as you can see I have a 60gb one just now but I need more as I download movies etc,,,,,,,,sooo,,,,,,, How do I hook up two hard drives in the one system ?????
    My hard drive just now is hooked to the primary IDE slot on the MB via a ribbon cable and there is one spare (available) connector on the ribbon, do I just connect the other hard drive into the spare connector ????? What about windows etc etc etc ?????
    Secondary IDE has both my cd drives hooked into it via one ribbon cable and the cable has no spare connectors.

To let you know what kind of user I am........I like to play games, some of the games use lots of graphics power but most dont.....I use the net via broadband cable loads of hours per day.......I want value for money but prefer hardware at the higher end of the scale because I feel it has a longer lifespan financially but I dont like getting ripped off !!!! lol lol !!!
    But basically....I like stuff thats kinda state of the art but I'am not going crazy with money if ya catch my drift ?

Please advise........Thank you....:cheers:

P.s,
    I'am in the uk, so if your pointing me to sites for prices etc, please try and make sure its a uk link, cheers :cheers:

I don't know about any Scottish hardware resellers, so I can't help you there.

To clarify, the PC you're gonna work on is in your sig? Or not?

thomson1968 Guest

yes

Man i really dunno what you are considering an upgrade...as for the Heard drive issue...its very simple...add the second hard drive to your comp...as your slave...meaning you will have to change the jumpers on the back of the hard drive to slave and plug that hard drive into the slave plug on the same ribbon as your 60 gb master. Other than that it seems like you have a decent comp...and maybe you should wait until something big pops up b4 you upgrade....but if its a must...then i would go for a ne Video Card...ATI 9700 pro which is right there with price and power...i wouldn't even up the memory...you have 512 the sweet spot for now..
    - Damien

The only two things I can really see being a worthwhile upgrade are the video and sound cards. I've not been really impressed by creative, so something by Philips or Hercules would be good.

Video card, either a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra or a Radeon 9800 Pro.

I think he should hold on to his system just a bit more...until the completely new stuff from AMD appear...
    - Damien

thomson1968 Guest

What new stuff ?

Athlon 64...however, you've still got a solid system. Unless you're planning on doing something to make good use of 64-bit computing, I'd hang on to what you have right now, with a few choice upgrades.

Thats what i mean...you still have a pretty solid system. AMD is bringing the Athlon 64 which if you have no use for that you can upgrade on the stuff of today but with a deduction of price since the new stuff pushes prices down. You get me?
    - Damien

thomson1968 Guest

Got ya flaco and co.....cheers........anyone else want to lend an opinion ???? Iam just lookin for Ideas before I go shopping.
    Cheers.................

Thread Information