Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get something good for $950

seeing the thread just below mine offering $ 3000 for a rig really makes me scared and sad too :(
    i just got my savings to the notch of 900 bucks and will be adding 100 bucks by the end of this week or may be next week. i will be needing 50 dollars so that leaves me with just 950. can i get something good in this budget? (btw 1 US Dollar = 1.52952 Aus Dollars, so that gets me to Aus $1453.044.)
    it will be more of a gaming PC with moderate gaming (may be demos of most of the games) but i don't want to OC it cos we run around 51 degree celcius in summers and i don't want to bake it untill i get a really good heat sink. also if anyone wants to suggest AMD then please couple it with a good heat sink (you just saw the temp :p ).
    most of you guys know that i am not very good with hardware, so please suggest me something guys.
    another thing is that i will be needing 2 HD's cos i wanna dual boot to XP and Linux (my new fav) and i don't want both of them to be sitting together on same HD.

thanx for any suggestions :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I'm not sure what ya got now, but I can say that you might wanna look into an nForce 2 board, like the 8RDA+. It's fairly cheap, running around $80 here in the US, so roughly $140AUD. That also covers your LAN and give you one of the best sound solutions available.
    The other thing I'd suggest in the way of video is either a Radeon 8500 or Radeon 9000 Pro. The 9k is just a rebadged 8500. The 8500 can be had for around $65 USD ($90AUD).

well the thing i m using right now is quite basic...rather calling it basic would be exaggerating a bit but anyways here it goes...

Intel P-4 1.6 Ghz
    Intel 845i Chipset which holds 1.3 Ghz processor maximum(Don't ask about why i got it...it is a long story)
    256 MB SD RAM
    Sis 305 AGP (32MB)
    1x40GB 5400RPM Seagate HD
    1x40GB 5400RPM Samsung HD
    Sony CRX-215E1 CD-RW 48x/24x/48x
    Samsung 52X CD-ROM Drive
    LG Studioworks 563N 15"
    and etc...

i will be keeping my CD-RW and Seagate HD...so that saves me some bucks as i will definitely be needing 2 HD's and a CD-RW.
    so now any more help?
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Whats wrong with the Samsung HD, and your Samsung Cd-Rom...

I would go with the 8Rda+ Mobo, and possibly the 2600+ (100US) , coupled nice card like 9700Pro - 9800 Pro...and some PC3200...keep your case that you have now...well until you have some more cash to play with.
    - Damien

The best bang for the buck right now is the 120gb WD's. They go for around $0.90 per gb.

I would also go with an ASUS n-force2 because of the extra bios stuff it has. Like Q-fan, talking bios, logon screens, ect. Nothing too exciting, but it is something extra. Q-fan is nice, since it adjusts your HSF depending on load/heat.

A Lite-on dual CDRW-DVD goes for around $80US and you get the best of both worlds. As well as Nero, Dvd player and other free software.
    HSF's should be easy since there are already about a 100 suggestions out there. Your pick. The Aero 7+ is nice, and a different design.
    You could also put that portable on E-bay and see if you can get a few extra bucks out of that. Try and see if you can find the space bar for it though.

Chez

I dunno why he is putting away his samsung if there is nothing wrong with it. He will need basic essentials for a gaming PC. I believe upgrading his Mobo, Proc, Memory, as well video card will get up and going with a huge margin over what he has now.

As for the ASUS that Chez suggested ..i belive its nice but...i think the extra cash is not worth it. The 8RDA+ is top notch i've used it three times already, the ASUS twice, and the ABIT twice as well when i've built systems.

Chez has some nice values but i don't think they are that nessary (did i spell that right?) for a gaming cd. I believe that 80 Gigs (for now even at 5400) and a cd-rw and a cd rom are fine. I fact i would prolly think about a Flat CRT 17" or 19" as well. Also remember you have all this new stuff poping up in mid August early Sept. Maybe if you are patient enough you will get these Nforce Mobos at a cheaper price than now. Just something to think about.:cheers:
    - Damien

All my ideas are, are suggestions.
    None of that stuff is necessary. Although when I build a system, I always look toward the long term, not short.
    By building just a gaming PC, when for a few dollars more you can build an all around good system, always seems like a better way to go in my mind.
    Maybe thats the problem, I should put my mind away!!! lol
    All the suggestions look good.
    I guess he could always just build a gaming pc, save on the "extras" and get a real nice video card.

Personally I would wait on the real nice vid card, until the next gen comes out. Its only about 6 months at tops.
    Just MY personal preferences. I am sure you will pick up what suits you and your budget.

Chez

PS I was also thinking of him using the CPU and other parts to build a second system out of it, at the same time.

Well...you are right long term is the way to go...but he is under a strict budget and wants a gaming PC ...i think a 9000 Radeon won't cut for nice games coming soon. I think he should wait as well...and save meanwhile he waits...just hold a lil longer so you can get better prices.
    - Damien

thanx a lot guys...i never knew i could have options ;)
    anyways about those samsung stuff...actually i m not putting this rig off. it will be there, i just want to keep it basic and use my one HD and CD-RW for the new one so that i could save some bucks.

i have loads of patience and in anycase i will be getting those 100 bucks after 10-12 days only...so that will be mid-August but if there are any chance of getting new and good deals, i can easily wait.

btw both of you are suggesting AMD, so i guess heat won't be any problem. i was planning on volcano 7 but i will give a look at Aero 7+ too :)

cheers guys...:cheers:

[EDIT]Please do give a few tips about PSU too :)[/EDIT]
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Here is a review on 5 PSU's reviewed by Tweaktown.

Chez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information