Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well I got my speakers... Now for a good soundcard!

according to xbitlabs, the terratec aureon 7.1 rapes the audigy2 cards in ALL tests.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mul...reon71_11.html

and since playback is more important, this is probably a better card.

http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...61&product=471

http://productsen.terratec.net/modul...rder=0&thold=0

price is about the same, but terratec is professional grade, not like soundblaster, which is multimedia class.

Quote Originally Posted by aznx
    according to xbitlabs, the terratec aureon 7.1 rapes the audigy2 cards in ALL tests.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mul...reon71_11.html

and since playback is more important, this is probably a better card.

http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...61&product=471

http://productsen.terratec.net/modul...rder=0&thold=0

price is about the same, but terratec is professional grade, not like soundblaster, which is multimedia class.
    I definetly had an eye on that card! Seems like a better choice than the audigy, as the audigy 2 is aimed at gaming people like tweaker who don't know a name besides ****ING CREATIVE LABS!

/me ****s on tweakers Audigy 2!

Being sincere though... People need to look at other cards than just the people @ Creative Labs make. There are some really good low budget rockz0rs out there. You just can't go w/ the hype all the time :blah:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Beefy Guest

OK, this thread is starting to get a bit out of hand. Everyone just settle.

We all know you get what you pay for, so paying more for a sound card will, in most cases, acheive better results. However, there's a few things I'd like to point out from the article that aznx provided:
    Of course, such minute advantages are not perceptible by ear and we wonít contend that Aureon is indisputably better than Audigy2. There are also such factors as functional software where Audigy2 beats its opponent. Moreover, both sound cards are targeted at the mass user who doesnít demand as much from the product as a man who is professionally into music.
    So you've got a card that does perform better (by numbers), but people can't really tell the difference? Interesting.. There was also mention of a driver problem in games, but that was fixed. That's another reason I do like Creative cards, is because of their large support base. Pretty much everything now supports Creative soundcards from the box.

When given the inital wishlist by Xboy, I personally thought the Audigy2 would have been the most applicable card. Sure, it's not the best (by a long shot), but for value for money you can't really go wrong. Plus, given that it's going to be used to play music files that have been compressed anyway, there's some quality loss there. There's also the EAX 3.0 support which the A2 gives (not sure about the Terratec, but I didn't see anything in the article about it).

Anyways, the whole idea of a forum is to listen to people's suggestions and find out info on things you don't know about. I'm no expert on sound cards by any means, but from the experiences I've had I can't fault what I've used.

Tweaker, it's rather rude to laugh at other people's suggestions, especially when you've never probably seen the alternative. Hear out what they have to say before dismissing their suggestions, OK?

And XBoy, I've noticed you've changed your tune rather quickly in here too. You seemed keen on an Audigy2 at the start, and now you're saying the whole company is crap. Where'd that come from? To be honest, if Creative didn't make decent products then they wouldn't be so popular. Creative to sound cards is like Microsoft to operating systems. There are alternatives, some which are better for certain tasks, but all come with their own pros and cons. If you're gonna work from a limited budget, then you can't really be too biased (like our swedish friend ;) )

ya driver support isnt all that great on a terratec, but everything does get fixed, so no biggie ^_^

oh, and to realize, the review used creative megaWorks 510D and inspire 6700 loudspeaker systems. not z-680s. i could tell the difference. but isnt better, still better? the creative speakers are weak compared to the z-680s. 188 watt sub alone, and satellites that do 62 watts EACH, along with a 69 watt center. by output power, it rapes every creative speaker system. and i've heard the z-680s, damn the air flow itself is HUGE. =)

quote'd "When perceived by the ear, Aureon 7.1 Space did very well reproducing life-like timbres and pure sound. High-quality speaker systems provided a necessary stereo-panorama width in an ordinary-sized room. Together with the fundamental basses this allowed us to enjoy excellent and precise sound sources positioning and their stable perception at any volume level. Actually, you can adjust anything with the mixer, but we didnít feel any discomfort at all, so it was mostly playing with the feature just for fun."

mm true, the terratec doesnt have eax 3.0, but how many games do? cause i dunno..lol

oh and beefy, since he mostly wants to play lossless encoded music, wouldnt make difference eh? :)

and everything comes with pros and cons, just depends what YOU want in the end.

1. Creative is a damn fine company with awesome products, and I am NOT biased.. Just look at their success for god sake.. You cannot get there with crappy pos hype filled stuff.. :rolleyes2

2. He did ask us what would give him the best sound for his 100 bucks, I answered with my opinion. If giving your personal advice to people is wrong then the whole idea with a forum like this goes down the drain.. :shrug:

3. **** somewhere else I'm not into that..

4. Yes I'm the insolence impersonated..

Just one question, what is wrong with the onboard sound? :confused:

lol wiggo :laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Just one question, what is wrong with the onboard sound? :confused:
    See at the time I didn't have enough time to get the A7N8X Deluxe which comes w/ digital optical or coaxial out, and NVIDIA's Soundstorm technology. The regular A7N8X has no digital out, and it's not Soundstorm, but just plain NVIDIA MCP (Whatever that means) Granted to me it sounds better than an SBlive! But I want a really killer card. I just made over $100 bucks so I am going to shell out the dough for the top of the line card. I do not despise Creative, but I was getting a little annoyed w/ the Tweaker guy who was ONLY looking @ Creative cards. The Audigy and Audigy 2 both are definetly good cards, but are all-in-one cards for everything. Since I mostly listen to FLACS, and will soon be converting these to high quality Ogg's I want my music to sound stellar on these Z-680's. The Audigy 2 can put out, but gaming is definetly it's strongest point, and as I looked further into it the biggest flaws were the drivers, and the use of the card for music. Right now I am looking at the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Surround card again, and it looks great. I would like some advice whether to grab this bad-boy or get myself that Aureon Space 7.1 card? They seem really similar, but the Revolution is at newegg :D Just a little more advice guys!
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Here is a link to the Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space card

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/terratec-aureon71/

And here is a link to the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Card

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...n71/index.html

Finally the Audigy 2 card

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...gy2/index.html

Remember this is primarily a music listening station, and I have Logitech Z-680 speakers, and Grado SR-60 cans (Which are great for the price) I want this system mainly for music, then gaming (which I don't do a whole lot of) Recording, and music making is not my thing. Based on these reviews I would like to see what you guys think would be best for me.
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

Quote Originally Posted by XBoy
    Beefy does the Audigy have a digital optical out and/or a digital coaxial out?
    The non-platinum does not have a digitial optical or coax out. It does have a digital out but it is for hooking it into the subwoofer/receiver. I know people are using these for HTPCs, though, so there must be some kind of adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by XBoy
    I want this card as I said almost entirely for music, and all that I know is Floyd's DSoTM 30th Ann. SACD w/ 5.1 better sound stellar for the big bucks that I am spending on this system.
    You won't be able to play a SACD with a computer regardless of the sound card you have. If it is a hybrid sacd then you can play the regular stereo track but you won't be able to play the 5.1 tracks. :cry: But, you CAN play DVD-Audio with the Audigy 2 and thats the reason I bought it. DVD-A rocks! I've never heard a SACD before but would like to find a way hook a SACD player into my speakers so I can listen while sittingat my desk.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information