Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Well I got my speakers... Now for a good soundcard!

Quote Originally Posted by XBoy
    Since I mostly listen to FLACS, and will soon be converting these to high quality Ogg's I want my music to sound stellar on these Z-680's.
    Next time mention all your plans for your system right away.. :rolleyes2

Lava it is a hybrid, but I am kinda pissed that this Sony DVD ROM drive I have (Sony + Phillips freaking invented the SACD ****ing format) doesn't even support SACD. Hopefully soon they find a way to rip the format, and then I will be rocking out to the 5.1. People say the 30th Ann. Edition sounds better than the others, but it breaks in the wrong places. With FLAC there will be no break whatsoever, and I am free to listen to Floyd's music how it was meant to be listened to. I like these Logitech Z-680's though because of the Stereo2x option which basically mirrors the stereo w/ the rear speakers, and cancels out the center (not that there is a center in stereo sound anyway :P) I like Stereo2x MUCH better than Dolby Digital Pro Logic 2. PL2 just sounds flaky, and has a fake feel to it. Hopefully I get a good soundcard that has some better options :D. Which is why I want some good recomendations :thumb:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

I've been happy with the Audigy 2. Listening to high quality DVD-A on my 5.1 speakers sounds great. I can't really compare my Revolution 7.1 since its in my HTPC. I've never tried the Revo in my workstation setup. The only complaint I've had with my Audigy 2 is I don't like the EAX options for listening to music. I don't have the option to just mirror the front 2 speakers into the back 2 and the Audigy 2 will create a surround mix which sounds weak to me. But, if your speakers offer the option to mirror the sound then you won't have to worry about the surround options in the Audigy 2 itself. So, I'd say go Audigy 2. But considering you're gonna use it as a HTPC it might be easier for you with the M-Audio since it has the digital coax out. Thats what I'm using it for.

I might look into doing something like you have with one of my extra computers and hook it up to my $3500 Yamaha system and 53" TV.
    I bet it would be a blast to play some games on!

I hooked up RoadRash to it once (when the wife was at work, OF COURSE) and cranked it up. DAMNNNNN that was soooo much fun.
    It was like you were actually in the game.

I also have 20gigs of mp3's on a 20gig portable harddrive I bought just to copy them from a buddy while I was in Japan. It would be nice to be able to play them on my system too. Especially for parties and stuff. I have a good sound system in my office but nothing like my home THX.

Some of you guys have some *****en speakers, headphones ect. for your computers. I guess I never got into gaming that much to spend the money on it. Although it sounds like fun!

Chez

Yea I think I am going to go w/ the M-Audio 7.1 Revolution card. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and I will post again to tell you all how it sounds :D
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Mokay it's final, and I just bought it :D. Lets hope this thing is worth the $$$!
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

I love my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

I have it hooked up to my Home theatre system, and I was surprised to find that when I compared my system to the 300$ Klipsch system in Best Buy, my system kicked its' ass for not only volume, but clarity, and range. Best Buy isn't the quietest of places, nor do I trust their employees to hook up the speakers in an optimum fashion. So for what it's worth...

Best Buy also had The Z-680's sitting there, and the Klipsch's beat them hands down, IMO.

There is no way I would suggest expensive computer speakers to anyone unless the speakers were for nothing other than game playing, or used only when sitting at the computer. I'd take a home theatre any day for almost all applications.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by SileNceR
    Or a hercules GameTheatreXP 7.1....
    HEllllll no do not get that!
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    There is no way I would suggest expensive computer speakers to anyone unless the speakers were for nothing other than game playing, or used only when sitting at the computer. I'd take a home theatre any day for almost all applications.
    Like I said I do enjoy the occasional game, but when Doom3 comes out you know where I will be :). You are pretty much right, but I can't really have a Home Theater system in my room :/. So for sound basically I have spent $390 which is pretty high, but I hear this Logitech Z-680 system with a good soundcard can in fact rival home theater systems. But we will have to see about that because my friend has his computer hooked up to his real reciever, and 4 channels going... It sounds great :D! The thing is supposed to be delievered today, and last night I was listening to some Floyd and Beatles to see how much the sound will improve.
    Box:

Cooling

Operating System:

I'm sure it will be great. Pretty much everything in this thread is SO good that this entire discussion is really just splitting hairs.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information