Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD advice please

yup, time to upgrade my trusty old (miniscule) HD, 10 gig just aint the vast, 'you'll never fill that up', expanse of storage it used to be;p

anyway, here's the skinny;

1. cache 2mb/8mb - huge, noticeable difference or if you didn't know u wouldn't notice?

2. rpm 5400/7200/10k - must have >7200 or faster just means louder?

3. interface EIDE or SATA - whats the big diff?

4. seektime 4ms/8ms/9ms/10ms - how much does does ones choice here affect system performance compared to the others (1. 2. & 3.)?

first person to satisfactorily answer all of the above questions can borrow my car* for the weekend!

thanks ladz, u own.

:afro:

*subaru imprezza wrx sti @450bhp baby, believe it;]

A1. 8MB is worth the extra few bucks. Its pretty much a no brainer.
    A2. RPMs wise get a 7200 one its got good seek times and its not too loud.
    10K is great, but it has more noise and better seek times. 5400 is mostly for storage that you dont access too often. Or good thing for a seti cruncher.
    A3. SATA 150 is just as fast as ata133. Or the advantage is too small to notice. But if you have SATA mobo and dont mind spending the extra few bucks, get a sata drive. maybe a 10K RPM one.
    A4. Lower seek times will improve performance of a system. Why do you think servers have 15K RPM SCSI drives? It all helps, BUT its not cheap. 8ms is pretty good. 10ms, well its mostly on the lower RPM drives.

Most likely if youre looking at a drive, you must consider that 5400RPM one will be quiet but it will have longer seek times compared to 7200RPM drive.
    But I think that most of them will have 8mb buffer (bigger ones at least)

Hope this helps

if your heading down the P-ATA road, i would suggest the Western Digital 8mb range. reliable, fast, and cheap

a 120gb 8mb cache 7200rpm is around $190.00 AU. :thumb:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

cheers kane2g, just what i needed, definitely a big help, thanks m8.

thoric! telepathy? esp? i dunno but you answered a question when it was still in my head!

"mmm are those western digital jobbies up to snuff or are they cheap imposters?"

thanks for the tip bloke, appreciate it. ; ]

oh yeah, btw, what about those incredible sub 5 ms seek times? impressive numbers but how much would you notice it in a gaming environment? at startup/gameload i guess but thereafter would it not become an obsolete consideration due to RAM?
    just wondered, ty.

I've been usin' the WD JB series (SE / 8MB cache) for well over a year now and I can't fault them for reliability or speed.

wiggo nailed it, ty wig, im off to find the best deal i can on a great fat WD H/D. ; ]

Also you can run a RAID setup to get better performance. :D
    BTW you can leave the car in my driveway.

whilst I have been soaking up the knowledge you blokes have kindly shared someone here has donated a H/D which i think will tide me over for a bit (until the next gen athlon64 etc. major upgrade even!), its an IBM DTLA 307030 in perfect nick. From some hasty research it seems it was top drawer when it hit the market back in 2000/1 - sweet!

it certainly pwnz my maxtor 10gb according to sandra;-

C: maxtor st310212a = 10929 kb/sec

E: IBM dtla 307030 = 20050 kb/sec

one odd thing i noticed, according to the internet st310212a is a seagate H/D ?

First person to satisfactorily answer all of the above questions can borrow my car?? Naw, I am into real speed, tho I like Suburu much, I prefer more serious HP to Weight ratios.... 113Cubic Inch 147HP 153 FtLb Torque, 538lbs Harley SuperGlide!!!

Western Digital WD360 Raptor X2 at RAID 0.... and a plus is they are so reliable that they sell very well and have come down a LOT in price!

For a good side by side with several common drives and a few SCSI offerings try this link

http://www17.tomshardware.com/storag...501/index.html

"...I prefer more serious HP to Weight ratios.... 113Cubic Inch 147HP 153 FtLb Torque, 538lbs Harley SuperGlide!!!"

mmm i think i do you on the power to weight ratio, old sport. let's see 450 BHP into 2400 lbs ...aah yours is HP (of course) ......one of us should go work out the comparison chart adjustment etc.

anyway, nice ride m8 ; ] i used to have a FATBoY, solid wheels, straight bars etc etc oh man that was a brute ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information