Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Case Period!

I am on the mission to build the best computer ever for myself, little by little. The first part to create a standstill is the case. I have always been thinking on getting a thermaltake case, but the options are many and you can only gain so much knowledge from reviews that all say the same thing. What do YOU guys think are the best cases not only from Thermaltake, but anywhere else. With the budget for the case around $200, what do you guys think is the best case for the money, good lookingness (erm...), cooling, expansion, etc...? Pictures are welcome and links appreciated! Thanks!

I've tested Thermaltake cases and they are good, but I use a modified Lian-Li for my normal system. It offers excellent cooling and plenty of functionality. It is also a mid tower design instead of the full tower, so is easier to set up anyplace I want.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

It all comes down to personal taste and what YOU want out of a case, not what others want. I personally got a Thermaltake Xaser II, because it's what I wanted at the time. I didn't see the point of getting a Xaser III, because it didn't have anything I needed over the II...

Some people like removablable motherboard trays, some like removable 3 1/2" drive bays.. some like windows, some like fans in front of HDDs, some like USB ports on the front of the case.... I could go on and on, but it's all up to what you want out of it.

What he's tryin' to say is either get a Lain Li or UNEEC clone case with reasonable fans (no not ya 60-80cfrm ones either, 34-40cfm ones will be good enough and ya won't be dissappointed). ;)

im not saying dont get a Xaser but people get dissed at lans for having them
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    MSI K7T 266 Pro2 - RU
    256Mb Samsung 333 Mhz DDR
    Leadtek GeForce 3 ti 200 64Mb
    Seagate 80 Gb
    Volcano 9 with coolmod

Quote Originally Posted by Pari
    im not saying dont get a Xaser but people get dissed at lans for having them
    Why? Because they're a clone of a very good layout? :?:

7. Default

I've been looking around for cases as well as there hard to come by for what you want because I want the USB/Firewire connections on the front and I also dont like those cover things to close the cd drives and I do like having removable HD trays as well...some things you have to give up to get other things you want....such is life

I have a Xaser V1000A and it is a very good case, except for the following annoyances:

1. The fans don't move a lot of air at all. The reason is, they have filters on them. The positive to this is, the filters do a very good job at keeping crap out of your case. My last case looked like desert storm inside and this one is spotless. A must have in my opinion. Despite the fans not moving a lot of air, there are enough of them to make up for it, and my case circulates air like it should, so this isn't really a bad thing, but some people replace them with more powerful (yet louder) fans.

2. The fan controller is a great idea but the LCD readout needs to be backlit, I always have to have a flashlight handy to peek at my CPU temp.

3. It's damn heavy, made of all steel. Don't plan on hauling this thing around a lot. However there is a plus to this, the case is very quiet as it seems the steel absorbs more sound than aluminum.

4. Those damn PCI lock tabs don't work, once you put any sort of card in a slot and go to lock it in place, that tab won't slide far enough to actually lock it in place, it hits the card. I really hate the idea that my video card is not secured in and when I plug in the monitor cable i can push it halfway out of its slot. Pic is attached, look at the blue tab next to the video card.

Positives

1. Hard drive installation rocks, they are mounted sideways to give more room for large video cards and to help wire routing. They also slide in without the need for screws via the included rails that snap onto them.

2. Built in fan controller with temperature probe and LCD readout (good because BIOS temp readings are never 100% accurate).

3. Quiet operation

4. Lots of fans - including a swinging plastic door behind the side panel that houses 2 fans. This is so you can remove the side panel without having to disconnect any fan wires from it.

5. Attractive design with window

6. I/O Panel on top with USB, Firewire, MIC, and Headphone jacks

Overall it is a good case, and the main thing I like is its quiet, which is a big plus for me becuase it is right next to my bed. Wow this turned into a mini review.......I hope it helps in your decision.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Notice the blue tab thats supposed to lock back into place, but can't slide far enough because it hits the video card. The same thing goes for the sound card which is significantly smaller.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

originally posted by wiggo
    [B]Why? Because they're a clone of a very good layout?
    i personally never said anything against them i quite like the black Xaser III its just certain lanning friends have a thing against premodded cases and one of the biggest complainers insists he has an idea for the best case mod ever but so far all he's done is graft a handel to the top of his case which he stole from a door at school personally i really like the GMC X-21 Trinity which is onsale for $190AUD at http://www.pccasegear.com
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    MSI K7T 266 Pro2 - RU
    256Mb Samsung 333 Mhz DDR
    Leadtek GeForce 3 ti 200 64Mb
    Seagate 80 Gb
    Volcano 9 with coolmod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information